Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
I didn't cycle during the last lockdown, partly to protect the NHS and partly to reduce my risk of Covid. This time, I figure that the NHS is better prepared and I want to protect my mental health too.

I didn't cycle during the last lockdown, partly to protect the NHS and partly to reduce my risk of Covid. This time, I figure that the NHS is better prepared and I want to protect my mental health too.
personally I have the idea that the threat to the NHS is as great during this lockdown as the last, but I still think you should cycle. Have fun, stay safe.

hoopdriver

Guru
One has to wonder about the idiocy of Cycling UK asking the question of how long a ride is permissible. Ask a question like that and some numpty in a suit is sure to dream up an answer that you don’t want to hear, and then other numpties will repeat it and it will take on the force of unwritten law, and possibly even be enforced by authorities who know no better. Surely, common sense would suggest that this “question” is better left open

One has to wonder about the idiocy of Cycling UK asking the question of how long a ride is permissible. Ask a question like that and some numpty in a suit is sure to dream up an answer that you don’t want to hear, and then other numpties will repeat it and it will take on the force of unwritten law, and possibly even be enforced by authorities who know no better. Surely, common sense would suggest that this “question” is better left open
it does make you wonder if cycling uk has a similar percentage of jobsworths as the civil service and they just want an excuse to natter to each other.

Must admit that did cross my mind.
If they want a limit or a ban them say so. (Im really looking for an excuse not to go out in the cold this weekend!)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

To quote from that article:

"But as in the nationwide lockdown earlier this year, to date there is little clarity on whether there is a limit on how long you can exercise for, or how far you can travel from home while undertaking it. "

Which is nonsense.

The law during the earler lockdown (in England) did not put any limit on how long, how far or how many times you can cycle. There is no reason to believe that the latest lockdown will be any different.

I cant see why people are taking issue with @I like Skol skol original post, its not like he said everyone should not ride , Maybe i have been involved with covid and the pressure on hospital beds, but any beds free for covid patients is a big plus in my book, wigan closed its A AND E department last night , just couldnt cope with the demand, on the plus side , there is one more bed free now MRS R is home.

I cant see why people are taking issue with @I like Skol skol original post, its not like he said everyone should not ride ,
It's quite simple - context. The context being, that since March loads of people (EDIT: inc many cyclists on sites like this) HAVE told cyclists to stop riding, or restrict to an hour, not stray too far in case you need rescuing (!). Villages with "Cyclists, FU.. Go Home!" signs. You name it.

It's naive to ignore this context, even if 'Skol's intentions may have been honourable.

Last edited:
have to dissagree i was only talking about skollys opening post , not villages with signs telling cyclists to go home , there is a big difference between the two, anyhow as i said i am now out of this discussion , and any other covid related discusson, too close to home for me,. im out

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What we need however is as many people to contract CV19 in the short as possible time-scale BUT at a rate at which the NHS can provide proper care AND protect their staff. Stopping the virus is impossible at the moment, but controlling the rate of infection is key.

The government has always followed economics ahead of the science and we are all now paying the penalty. Stricter adherence to social distancing, mandatory mask wearing out of the home, working from home and restricting travel/movement should be promoted not just during the lockdown periods but at all times to keep control and infection at a constantly low levels.

You've just made two completely contradictory statements. I agree completely with the first paragraph, we need to let the virus run so as many of the population as possible have caught it and have some immunity to it. You don't achieve that by having lockdowns though, only by permitting people to go about their daily lives as normal.
The lower you try to drive the transmission rate, the longer this nonsense is going to drag on for as you couldn't quickly vaccinate the population even if there was a vaccine ready to dispense. The only way to get it over with is to stop trying to interfere with the epidemic and let nature take it's course. In reality there is a glass ceiling to the viable transmission rate, as the falling numbers in places like Brazil and India have shown. It won't be long before it really starts to fall off again in the USA too.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
wigan closed its A AND E department last night , just couldnt cope with the demand,
Mrs Skol mentioned similar to me earlier today. Not sure if she was talking about Tameside, Manchester or Greater Manchester (including Wigan?) but seems odd to me as it wasn't a weekend (over run by drunks) or other large scale incident. Putting aside any paranoid conspiracy theories that this was engineered just to get the public on-side it highlights exactly the capacity crunch situation I am talking about.
Yes, keep cycling, keep healthy, keep sane, keep safe.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTB'ers had a 'Not Far, No Gnar' motto, and seeing as many trail centres are not closed (or will be). I personally only stuck to well known routes, unless with others when permitted. I did more cycling during lock down than usual, but kept it 'tame' but with a good work out.

I've avoided A&E for nearly 5 years - the last time I was express into Intensive Care/Resus - I'd rather not tie up that many NHS resources next time, including oxygen (stats of 70% :wacko: might make the Docs think I had covid - nope just badly broken). :rolleyes:

Most cycling is fine - I think the practicing doing 30 foot jumps, and 10 foot drop offs might be taking it a bit far :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mrs Skol mentioned similar to me earlier today. Not sure if she was talking about Tameside, Manchester or Greater Manchester (including Wigan?) but seems odd to me as it wasn't a weekend (over run by drunks) or other large scale incident. Putting aside any paranoid conspiracy theories that this was engineered just to get the public on-side it highlights exactly the capacity crunch situation I am talking about.
Yes, keep cycling, keep healthy, keep sane, keep safe.

NWAS declared a major incident yesterday - they were overloaded by ambulance call outs. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom