Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

while the number of vehicles fell sharply, the number of RTCs did not.
Eh... How does that work? :scratch:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I suspect that we won't see anything like the same level of compliance this time round as we did last time. A combination of mistrust from the Cummings business, plus a sense of futility and general restriction-fatigue will likely see it not being as well observed. I could be wrong though.

As for me, I couldn't cycle - for various reasons - at the start of the previous one so I was confined to the turbo initially anyway, and I kept that up throughout. I think I may do the same this time. Or if I do go out I'll keep it short and local.

straas

Matt
Do you have any evidence for that?

I've heard this from several sources - can't say I've looked too far into it though - seems very believable as every evening round here during lockdown you could hear cars racing around.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-manchester-road-deaths-rise-during-lockdown

I think people are very much fed up now, it's been a long 7 months and now we have no end in sight.

My wife hasn't been over to see her mum since Christmas time, my brother's due to have a baby this month that we won't be able to see. My son doesn't really recognise any of his wider family because he sees them so rarely - and I think we've got it pretty good. There are so few positives coming out of this. :sad:

BorderReiver

Veteran
I always thought the NHS was supposed to be there to protect us from the consequences of illness and injury.

Turns out our tax guzzling but apparently fragile NHS needs to be protected from us as soon as it is likely a lot of us will be ill!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One thing npot much spoken about of late is 'herd-immunity'. Whilst there are witterings about reductions in antibody levels in those that have already had the virus, and one or two cases where people have had CV19 twice, there is still very little evidence at the moment to suggest re-infection. What we need however is as many people to contract CV19 in the short as possible time-scale BUT at a rate at which the NHS can provide proper care AND protect their staff. Stopping the virus is impossible at the moment, but controlling the rate of infection is key.

The government has always followed economics ahead of the science and we are all now paying the penalty. Stricter adherence to social distancing, mandatory mask wearing out of the home, working from home and restricting travel/movement should be promoted not just during the lockdown periods but at all times to keep control and infection at a constantly low levels.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't take risks on my bike.
Yes you do.

Every time you put a forkful of food into your mouth you risk choking. Every time you pull your pants on in the morning you risk falling over (I believe that, anecdotally, putting on trousers causes quite a large number of hospitalisations each year). Every time you do something, either mundane or extraordinary, you are exposed to an associated risk. We accept these risks constantly, either because there are low consequences or the likely hood is perceived to be low.
You most certainly do take risks when riding a bicycle.
You seem to be implying cycling is inherently dangerous which it is not.
Not sure how you have arrived at that conclusion from the statements I have posted in this thread? I agree that cycling is not inherently dangerous.

I am just suggesting that, now more than ever, we take care. Not everyone will be able or need to change anything, but perhaps rather than putting so much energy into starting an argument, it would be a better use of your time and effort to take a step back and do a quick risk assessment of your activities?

byegad

Legendary Member
NHS has been an unworkable bureaucracy for many years, and now accounts for ever growing proportions of public spending. Yet 7 months later and with unlimited additional cash they still can't do basic things like test and trace or GP appointments. For most of the year we haven't had a functioning health service, just a National Covid Service to manage a disease which is low risk for most people. Turning their backs on all other health conditions is a national disaster created entirely by the NHS. Within a couple of years Covid will look irrelevant compared to the excess deaths from other causes, and NHS managers are already lining up their excuses for how these aren't their fault.
It's private firm doing the trace bit, and doing it as badly as you'd expect any friend of BoJo to manage with pockets bulging with your and my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom