Protein and recovery drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

Did a 100 miles ride last weekend close to where my brother lives.

He used to do weight lifting a while ago. I showed him the recovery drink I use - Torq. First he thought it cost far too much but had a lot of protein in it. He could not understand why it had so much carbs in it. He suggested buying a tub of whey protein because it's cheaper and also suggested taking it through the week and not just after the ride.

Any thoughts on this? I have followed cycling specific advice on this but anything cycling specific seems to cost 50% more than close equivalents. I don't want to be blinkered on this because advice from magazines may just be cycling industry snake oil.

zacklaws

Guru
Simply put, the protein will build and repair muscles and aid recovery but will not fuel the body like carbs will. So if you only took protein on your 100 miler as opposed to carbs you would probably have run out of "steam" A recomended mixture is 4 parts carb to 1 part protein.

I buy everything from:-

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/

where it is all cheap, especially whey protein as opposed to a tub full from a shop and make up my own mix of 4-1 and also add electrolytes, once again my home made mixture based on the ingredients of Nuun tablets, whereas a pack of 12 tablets cost about £5 a total ripoff as your only buying baking soda, chalk and bath salts as three of the ingredients for example. For about £10, I can buy the basic ingredients from Ebay and have enough powder to make 600 tablets.

OP
OP
E

earth

I was looking on myprotein and might try mixing my own as you suggest. How about the idea of taking protein a supplement between rides. I think he specifically meant before the ride so there is protein in the bloodstream without any muscle tissue being broken down.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A lot of people suggest that chocolate milk shakes makes ideal recovery drinks; they certainly go down well!

I buy my Maltodextrin powder from MyProtein - they do 5 kg bags for a bargain price.

ColinJ

I think he specifically meant before the ride so there is protein in the bloodstream without any muscle tissue being broken down.
Some people have suggested that carb/protein drinks are ideal on the bike but I found them harder to mix in the bottle and to stomach on the move so I gave up on them.

You are always going to break down some muscle tissue, you just want it to grow back stronger!

If you keep pounding away at the muscles without adequate recovery time, that's when you are going to run into problems.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A lot of people suggest that chocolate milk shakes makes ideal recovery drinks; they certainly go down well!

I buy my Maltodextrin powder from MyProtein - they do 5 kg bags for a bargain price.

I am one of those people. 4 to 1 carb protein ratio makes the ideal recovery drink after a hard session ime. (I need to watch my calcium intake due to osteoporosis) But watch the calories on the ones you buy in the shops.

Strom

Simple Carbs (such as maltodextrin) Quickly replace glycogen stores in the muscles, allowing you to 'go again' Protein repairs the muscles after hypertrophy (damage) Complex carbs (rice etc) drip feed the muscle with fuel during exercise.

To Refuel use simple Carbs (but avoid using more than you have spent as unused simple carbs quickly become fat)

To Repair use protein, as a cyclist you dont want to build excess muscle, just powerful efficient muscles, so there is not need to go overboard on protein on off-days unless you need to build up your power (which can, but not always be detrimental to endurance)

To fuel before load up on oats or rice or similar, also dont be afraid of a little fat a few hours pre-workout, fat containing around 9 calories of energy per gram vs Carbs at 4 calories per gram.

If your sweating alot dont forget to replace your lost salts!

if you want to go natural, A banana contains loads of simple carbs and potassium and is alot cheeper than the various powders and potions! (and this is coming from someone who sells powders and potions!)

Strom

I wish there was an orange/lime flavored protein recovery powder out there TBH

There is, Syntrax Nectar! Zero Carbs, Zero Fat, Zero Sugar, 23g of protein per scoop!

Comes in lots of fruit flavors!

ColinJ

I wish there was an orange/lime flavored protein recovery powder out there TBH
I prefer natural flavours which I add myself so I buy unflavoured powders. My ride drinks are made from maltodextrin, 2/3 water and 1/3 OJ with a pinch of Lo-salt, and a squeeze of lemon and/or lime.

I'm happy with sugar in the chocolate milk shake 'recovery drink' because I've probably burned up 5,000+ calories on any ride which merits one!

Rebel Ian

I've just started using "For Goodness Shakes" as a recovery agent. So far so good and the berry flavour tastes just like strawberry Nesquik, even though you mix it with water rather than milk.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I prefer natural flavours which I add myself so I buy unflavoured powders. My ride drinks are made from maltodextrin, 2/3 water and 1/3 OJ with a pinch of Lo-salt, and a squeeze of lemon and/or lime.

I'm happy with sugar in the chocolate milk shake 'recovery drink' because I've probably burned up 5,000+ calories on any ride which merits one!

Im quoting you as I will come back to this to ask for advice on what to mix, if thats ok ?

Gaz

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Choclate milk or regular mil/semi-skim with Nesquick.
Anything more is just wasting money unless you're Olympic standard.

Milk witha bit of added carbs has been shown to have near optimal uptake. The great biochemist in the sky might have designed-it like that for a reason ....

Top Bottom