Prototype Homebuilt "transportable " 20" wheel tadpole trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks

This is the current project
a "dismantlable " to transport and store trike that will be easy to assemble and carry around , This is not a folding trike and has 3 main bits , The rear end with suspension , the cross boom , and the front crank boom

It has disc brakes all round but has been designed with a form of Direct Knuckle Steering that comes up from the brake arms , At present in a prototype form so we can see if there are any problems .
the initial idea is not to fit a front changer and to fit the rear disc brake as a parking brake and the rear gear lever in a place where it can be operated on the rear frame and keep the weight below 40lbs assembled .

The 20/20 e-trikes fit in the car and with a bit of a struggle on the roof , But being a one piece trike they takes up a bit of room when not in use( 7 ft x 3ft approx ), so the plan is to make a trike that takes up less space when not in use .
A light weight trike built from smaller tubing and uses the down tube from a larger diameter MTB frame BUT still retaining 20" wheels all round for a reasonable smooth ride and the "fullsize " look .

Unfortunately the photos are not in the correct order as the Thread editor wont allow me to shuffle the pictures around

The cross boom is 40 mmx 20mm with centre point steering angles cut into the boom , In the centre there are two anticrush tubes to ensure the boom remains strong when the bolts are tight and wont deform and the caster angle has been cut into the rear section of the main boom ( 40mm square ) , but the front boom ( 35mm MTB down tube ) is also angled 5 degrees down so the bottom bracket does not sit too high , there is more than adequate clearance without any possibility of heel strike ( 17.5 " ) and folding pedals will be fitted to make storage simpler . ^_^

So How far have we got ?
:- the trike is almost there with all the main things fitted except for the front brakes , They are merrily swimming over from China alongside a tea boat ( or something like that ) This build will be using LH and RH pit bike brake calipers and brake levers .
But we have everything thing else ready to assemble apart from a few brackets , The chain line is now sorted as the chain was trying to machine away one of the rear chain stays but an extra pulley has corrected this ,
Probable another 8 hours to get the trike " on the road " and then 50 or so miles sort out before stripping and painting ,

apart from a mirror and a removable flag pole there will not be a rack at present it is starting to look like a trike

Further updates as the build progresses ,,,, watch this space ......:wahhey:

boomfitted.jpg
crossboom3.jpg
trans1.jpg
trans2.jpg
transport3.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I so want a trike but no where to store it and i am not allowed any more bikes :sad:

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The problem with a folding trike is they are expensive and they usually only fold once ( in half ) . I have seen a trike that even the cross boom folds but they are mega money and only use 16 " wheels :cycle:

This idea is to have 3 bits that can be laid in the back of a car and have 2 bolts to fix it together .:becool:

Fitted the pair of front brakes today and adjusted the gear mech to get a 70" gear ,
I am using Pit Bike calipers as they make a left and right hand caliper which makes mounting them even easier ( photo will follow )
the calipers are out of the way under the brake booms .

Had a ride around the block , The trike rides wells and rolls nicely . The only little problem is the 3mm plate of the front "JOINT " needs to be a bit more substantial so next stage is to increase the front and rear plates to 6 mm plate and have another go .

That is another day :cheers:

photos to come when they decide to release themselves from the vault on my phone and appear on my sky drive
( the wonders of a windows phone )

regards emma

Last edited:
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
hey there cyberknight , my heart goes out to you only 3 bikes , that's only enough for 3 days riding a week, but saying that if l didn't build the trikes myself l wouldn't have 2 . My problem is storage at 7x4 per trike it don't take much to fill a garage

regards Emma

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
hey there cyberknight , my heart goes out to you only 3 bikes , that's only enough for 3 days riding a week, but saying that if l didn't build the trikes myself l wouldn't have 2 . My problem is storage at 7x4 per trike it don't take much to fill a garage

regards Emma
I normally ride 1 bike for commuting which is my self built vanquish, the boardman which is my nice bike and a subway for riding with the kids and winter commuting. ( halfords c2w at our place ) and a 7x5 security shed ( upgraded )
And yes "only" was not meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Voyager, you would enjoy speaking to @stuee147

{edit: I see you already have! :smile:]

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
today I fitted the pit bike left and right handed calipers and used a spare of electric bike brake levers ( plot thickens perhaps ) tweaked the rear mech into 6th gear and fitted the chain on the middle ring .
This made the trike ready for a quick test around the block , The trike rode well and the test ride has shown up one little problem . the front plate bent out of shape .
A test sitting on the floor showed that at 165lb bod weight I could still exert a force on the pedal ( pushing against the seat back ) in excess of 220lb so the force on that joint is quite large , after a couple of discussions with a couple of mechanical engineers I believe I have found a good fix that will strengthen the whole joint and still look "right "

any way the photos appeared on my sky drive so here they are
transbrake.jpg

transtube.jpg

image hosting services

So all in all a good morning the trike had its first ride and the first problem identified and a cure will be effected soon
Initial feelings about the trike , the riding position is comfortable and everything available to me works ok , Tomorrow l will get a couple of pieces of bar stock and make the gussets and triangle stress reducing plate .

as ridden today
transrode.jpg
pic host

Last edited:
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
After a little brain storming we came up with a simple idea , two little plates each 40mm square welded top and bottom, this transfers the moment onto the rear boom and the noise / movement has gone , I tried the trike around the block before the rain set in and it seems ok , next step is to fit the gears and new brake callipers when they arrive from China ( edit :- they have just arrived from China at 13:50 )
trantop.jpg

tranunder.jpg

free photo hosting

next fine day ( not much room left in the garage/workshop now ) will see the gears and proper brakes going on together with the rear parking disc brake .
Then comes the test rides before the paint work

Last edited:

markg0vbr

Über Member

regards Emma
Hooks on wall hang them by the back wheel, I have one on the back room/ trike garage wall, then one stood above the other in a car transporter style of rack. And A delta trike stood up against the wall on its back wheels.

Top Bottom