Prototype Homebuilt "transportable " 20" wheel tadpole trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hooks on wall hang them by the back wheel, I have one on the back room/ trike garage wall, then one stood above the other in a car transporter style of rack. And A delta trike stood up against the wall on its back wheels.

Problem is I cannot lift an e-trike ( weighs between 75lb and 87 lb ) up on end onto the wall unfortunately with an intermittent bad back and a slender frame , I'm not built to do it , I can just manage with puffs , pants and groans get the trike in and out of the back of the estate car , ( without its battery pack 68 lbs inc panniers ) a stacking system for a second trike above the first one might be an option in the shed and garage though

still food for thought

regards emma

jayjay

Veteran
Got room and the support for a cycle winch from the ceiling?

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
A little bit more done today between shopping and the raindrops .
The bottom bracket or should it be front bracket
jester.gif
was too wide causing the front changer not to be able to cope with the push outwards so as a temporary measure I have replaced the assembly with a standard one and fitted a triple that lies closer to the front boom .
The front changer now works well and with both levers mounted at the top of the bars with thick home made slide over grips the initial problem of being able to disconnect the cables has been sorted and the rear brake is mounted under the seat , even the 140mm disc is too efficient and locks the rear wheel up so it might as well become the parking brake . Rode it around the block again before the rain came and apart from a few adjustments , all is well.
Might be next week before I have ironed out the little quirks and then its extended road test time
regards emma

transpo1.jpg

transpo2.jpg

image hosting free

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks
Its always said that red trikes go faster than blue ones , But seriously the next decision is the colour , Luckily I have a little time to test ride it before committing it to colour and i will get used in bare metal ( in the dry weather - no mudguards , no paint ) , I am sure it will get scratched a bit and its not getting powder coated so it will be an acrylic finish , the rear triangle and the handlebar/steering arms will be matt black which only leaves the 3 parts that make up the frame , at present I am thinking a dark gunmetal colour but the nagging thoughts says something bright . that leaves a big question , What colour?

I have tried red, blues ,silver and matt black with gloss black writing on the stealth , I tried an orange and that looked like a rusty hamster , the yellows I have test sprayed come out wishy-washy , I posted for a giggle about spraying one pink because it would go fast as nobody wanted to be seen on a pink trike
Oh well , any ideas ?..xx(..:bicycle:...:wub:...:eek:

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Those handles looks very awkward, I thought I have the thickest handles but you beat me with those ones

Handllebar grips are only temporary:laugh: , they are a piece of pipe lagging wrapped with pvc tape , it beats getting cold hands on cold bare steel :eek:
when you are test riding the beast , lt was the first thing that I saw when I was looking for something to push over the bar ends , actually feel quite comfortable and if they were trimmed a bit they would look 1/2 decent ..

regards emma

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like this idea but I think it would look far better with a seat similar to the ICE trikes, and far more comfortable.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
I like this idea but I think it would look far better with a seat similar to the ICE trikes, and far more comfortable.

Hi Steve
I am in total agreement ,
a trike that you are going to spend several hours on in one session would indeed benefit from a mesh seat but in this instance the bulk of the extra parts and the size of the seat would defeat the exercise in making it transportable on a trike that probably wont do more than a 15 -20 mile ride in a day , also the two flat "plates " slip happily into a corner when being stored .

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
here is the detail for the pit bike brake calipers , the advantage is that they are handed and you only need one template to make the mount,

If anyone is gong to DIY then the advice is clamp the caliper to the disc with a cable tie and cover the disc with a damp cloth to avoid splatter .

These calipers with brake levers are under £15 on ebay and fit the standard mount of a MTB caliper
pitbrake_1.jpg

pitbrake_2.jpg

pitbrake_3.jpg

image upload no compression

here is the link to the low cost disc wheels and calipers
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/9193-Tadpole-disc-brakes-the-alternative-calipers

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

After a bit more riding and testing I decided that the DKS would have to go and be replaced with Under Seat Steering the tike has become more responsive since the "upgrade " and I am thinking of replacing the Left and Right hand braking with normal dual front and rear braking , This is because I am thinking of electrification and that calls for all wheel braking .

Regards emma

WP_20141021_001.jpg
upload pictures online

Top Bottom