Prototype Homebuilt "transportable " 20" wheel tadpole trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Red...it has to be red as that is the fastest colour.

Can we asee a photo of the engineer at work please?

Are you keeping detailed plans of this because we all might want one.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Red...it has to be red as that is the fastest colour.

Can we a see a photo of the engineer at work please?

Are you keeping detailed plans of this because we all might want one.

Red might be a good colour and go with black handlebars and seat . That is a definite maybe

Cannot take a photo of myself at work but I have found one of us on trikes

5 of us met up in July for a weekend of trikes ,rides and good food

Ken , me , John Tuula and Danny on the trikes in Lancing ( the barn ) caravan and camping site
All home built trikes , Ken is on my 20/20, I am using the Voyager and John's is a completely home built trike , Tuula's trike is a modified Atomic Zombie Streetfox where as Danny's is a virtually an "off the plan" version .
The_Riders.jpg

I have 2 sketches so far on the build and lots of photos but I could be persuaded to firm up a drawing later .

John is building a pair of electric touring trikes at present and Danny is building a Trike using round tubing , an Ocean moulded seat and Sturmey Archer 90mm hub brakes and a 8x3 rear S-A hub , Tuula is waiting to get her hands on her new touring trike when John finishes them , Ken is just at Home on a DF as he is on a trike

starhawk

Hi Folks

I am thinking of replacing the Left and Right hand braking with normal dual front and rear braking , This is because I am thinking of electrification and that calls for all wheel braking .

Regards emma

:eek: I had my trike "electrificated" years ago and I still have my two drumbrakes on the front wheels, no need for anything more. I am currently fitting a discbrake on the rear wheel but that is for parking brake only (and maybe as a drag-brake if the need arises)

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
:eek: I had my trike "electrificated" years ago and I still have my two drumbrakes on the front wheels, no need for anything more. I am currently fitting a disc brake on the rear wheel but that is for parking brake only (and maybe as a drag-brake if the need arises)

Here in the UK the EAPC regulations calls for trikes to have "all wheels brakes " but it does not say the levers have to be mounted on the handlebars .

An hour in the workshop today produced a dual pull adapter for a brake lever . I hope to fit it tomorrow . The brake levers I am using have drilling for the kill switches so I am a little way towards preparing for electrification .

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Ho Folks

with little rest from this damp weather today I fitted the dual front brake converter and cabled up the front and rear brakes and rode around the block
the brakes ( like always on the dual system ) work well on the front and the rear locks up at slow speed
still here are the photos of this weeks efforts showing the USS handlebars reworked from a pair of rounder bars and a pair of bmx bars and the dual front brake mod fitted in place

tdualbrake.jpg

ttfrontuss.jpg

capture screen

regards emma

starhawk

I have also thought about having both brakes coupled to the same lever, but I can never decide which lever, so the project has stayed at the thought level

classic33

Leg End Member
Ho Folks

with little rest from this damp weather today I fitted the dual front brake converter and cabled up the front and rear brakes and rode around the block
the brakes ( like always on the dual system ) work well on the front and the rear locks up at slow speed
still here are the photos of this weeks efforts showing the USS handlebars reworked from a pair of rounder bars and a pair of bmx bars and the dual front brake mod fitted in place

tdualbrake.jpg

ttfrontuss.jpg

capture screen

regards emma
Top one looks like a @stuee147 replicant.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Top one looks like a @stuee147 replicant.

SJS cycles were, until March this year selling theses as a DIY kit at £3.95 post free on E-Bay . I bought 6 and have used them all .
Unfortunately they have sold out of them and I have replicated the ones used on the other trikes.
Only difference is these are made from 10mm x 13mm bar stock aluminum and 8mm steel rod and secured with an Allen bolt

I have also thought about having both brakes coupled to the same lever, but I can never decide which lever, so the project has stayed at the thought level

Standard side would be the side used for the front brake on a DF

A toe strap can be used to turn the lever into a parking brake.

regards emma

starhawk

emma wrote:
Standard side would be the side used for the front brake on a DF

I no longer remember which handle on the DF is for what

A toe strap can be used to turn the lever into a parking brake.

Well at present there are a velcro strap at each brake handle but I don't feel they work very well and they are a little tricky to handle, a "park" lever is much easier to use

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Starhawk

We have been using them for the past couple of years , Rather than pay the "ICE park " price , we have been using standard friction shimano gear levers
Having the word PARK on then makes it a little bit too easy for the thief .
I would rather confuse them with a third gear lever to slow down their getaway
Using them in conjunction with a sprung arm also allows the use of the handlebar rear brake and parking brake ( similar to the configuration used on a caravan brake )

Today was spent getting the other trike ready for winter :banghead: :- by replacing the lights :sun: and remaking /welding the bracket for the rear reflector and rear lamp that fell off during the summer ( after I backed into a fence :cursing: ) after a mid morning cuppa :cheers: I made a head tube fitment to mount a mirror on the new trike :becool: .Surprise Surprise it has started raining again .:rain::rain::rain:

Hopefully next week I can get out for a proper ride :hyper:

regards emma

starhawk

Having the word PARK on then makes it a little bit too easy for the thief .

Well that depends on where you mount the lever, what about under the seat?

Top Bottom