Proud To Be A Yorkshireman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just before the start on Sunday, Gill Douglas went behind the scenes of the broadcast van to interview Phil Ligget, poor old Phil filled up and said he had never been prouder yesterday and after 42 consecutive 'Tours' for him, he had never seen anything like it and didn't apologise for breaking down on air.

I know some on here don't like him, but the Tour would not be the same for me if he wasn't commentating, a bit like F1 and no Murray Walker

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Superleeds what the hell's going on at ER for gods sake. Cellino will either turn out to be brilliant or the biggest fool in football? Its like getting rid of Dave Brailsford and replacing him with Cav

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Superleeds what the hell's going on at ER for gods sake. Cellino will either turn out to be brilliant or the biggest fool in football? Its like getting rid of Dave Brailsford and replacing him with Cav

I hope I am wrong, but I think he is going to be a disaster for us

NorvernRob

I live here, but even I was more than impressed with how stunning the scenery looked. The camera work and sunny weather have combined to showcase the place brilliantly. I even got misty eyed when they showed Masham CofE school's sheep!

Having said that, I love the place when the tops are all wreathed in cloud and drizzle, and the bleakness of the surrounding moorland in winter.

I've ridden up Holme Moss a couple of times before, it's always quiet and in February it was bloody bleak! Just you, the hill and your own thoughts and pain.

Yesterday was incredible, riding up with thousands of people walking, riding, pushing, cheering, ringing bells, banging pans, clapping - I'll never forget it and I don't mind saying I got a bit emotional at times. Even my 17st mate got up without stopping due to the crowd cheering him on. He said there was no way he was giving up with that support.

It was just an incredible day, from riding closed roads, sitting and watching at Holmfirth, seeing 5 year old kids riding their bikes on the Woodhead pass (surreal) and a lad about 8 climbing the 12% ramp at Holme Moss with his dad alongside coaching! Then the riders of course, just pure power and talent to ride that closely and quickly.

And didn't it look superb on the TV, let's hope Yorkshire gets lots of events and tourism from putting on such an awesome display of support.

Then the ride home where I absolutely smashed it pretending I was a team Sky rider, I even managed to get an unhappy face from the speed board near my house ^_^

wisdom

Guru
Have to agree with all the comments. Fantastic coverage on the box
Proves there are areas outside London that can put on a show.
Well done to all involved and the spectators really put on a show.

I am not a Yorkshireman, but watched the TV coverage over the weekend and actually had a lump in my throat when I saw the numbers of spectators, and the efforts that many had put in to making displays of one sort or another. Some of the sculptures, posters and field displays were just magnificent.

Very well done indeed to all concerned!

DRM

Guru
We saw the procession through millennium square on Thursday, it was strange seeing all the team and tour vehicles along with the french news motorhomes parked in Leeds, that's when the realisation hit me that after all this time, le tour was here, we saw the race and the caravan on the roundabout on the A61 near Ripley, the atmosphere was brilliant, strangers talking to each other, cheering the gendarmerie motorcyclists and anything that moved, the sound of the cow bells, the caravan, then the riders, gone in a flash but brilliant, but watching the highlights on tv I was blown away by the size of the crowds all along the route, the county has done the nation proud, during the lead up all we heard on radio leeds was the nimby wingers pulling the event apart, well what a difference 48 hours makes, radio leeds had people from all over Britain on saying what a fantastic weekend they had, and proposing that Gary Verity should be a sir, I am very proud to be a Yorkshireman.

davefb

Guru
I almost burst into tears with pride on Cote D`Oxenhope:stop:, but then remembered that I`m a Yorkshireman and quickly got a grip..Gradely.

watched from penistone hill .. frankly didn't get to see enough due to the crowds and me not picking a good spot tbh, too straight.. but *incredible*..
a few minutes after they'd gone through, got the binoculars and looked across to "cote d'oxenhope" and just saw lines of people, it looked an amazing sight..

They'd stopped people walking down the road into stanbury, so at one point, there was a train of people coming across the moors from 'bronte falls', it just looked bizarre..

The day before, in skipton, cycling in just thought "seems quiet", it was because there were so few cars.. but got in ( about 1145?) and suddenly realise there are thousands and thousands of people and got turned back as it was too busy on the high street, ended up on a roundabout by the gold club.. I've read that they were expecting 30,000 and got 100,000..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Though I left the county some 45 years ago to live in County Durham I too am proud to be a Yorkshireman. The Tour was done brilliantly showing parts of God's Own County to perfection.

I did the reverse and moved from County Durham to Yorkshire thirty seven years ago. I love my home county but I have to admit that my bosom heaved with pride when I was at the official reception event last Thursday and witnessed/experienced the build up and delivery of the finest celebration of cycle racing that the UK has ever delivered. There's great cycling to be had here and the aerial shots of the route must have tempted a lot of folk to consider paying the county a visit and experience the joys of cycling here in the not too distant future.

bpsmith

Veteran
The weekend was phenomenal and that was just watching on the box from South Wales. There is nothing I could fault and Yorkshire looked amazing with the sheer volume of support, let alone the countryside. Fair play to you all!

London couldn't come close to the first 2 stages. Totally different feel to stage 3.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's a bit harsh!

We had the interesting experience of camping on a golf club that, after much argument, had managed to persuade the older diehard members that since they wouldn't be able to drive to the club on Saturday or Sunday, the club might as well benefit by offering camping. So they had gone out and hired bogs and showers and a big screen and laid in some decent beer and when we arrived we got the impression the golfers were all a bit nervous because everything was very well scripted and organised. We had a small insight into the silly rules and hierarchy and conventions of golf clubs, which appear (to me) to be run as exclusive social clubs for wealthy folk. By Sunday though they seemed to have realised that cyclists are not all aggressive roadies and the club officials looked genuinely sorry to see us leave. I nearly started an upset though when I suggested that cycling was booming at the expense of golf, which was a good explanation for the continued problem of low memberships and clubs going bust (20% reduction in Scotland in the last 5 years). Sadly a shower plumbing problem interrupted what was turning into a lively discussion.

Top Bottom