psoriasis no more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think there is a hereditary side to it, I've had it mildly in my twenties but been all clear since (and I discovered my Dad has had it too). But I've suddenly developed excema (according to the doc), in my forties and it is driving me around the bend with the itching and rash!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Whenever I see the topic Mentioned I always think of the TV film The Singing Detective brilliantly played by Michael Gambon. I guess you might have seen it. Dennis Potter, who wrote it also suffered from it. It is a truly debilitating condition and I think the film gave people a better understanding of it. Great to hear you are now free from it.

@young Ed check out this clip, it's quite amusing.

View: http://youtu.be/-LF0lkVYKU4

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This thread has made me think a bit, and I'm wondering if it isn't psoriasis. I didn't think it was because it wasn't silvery and scaly. However on looking it up it looks very like the guttate version, lots and lots of red dots over my torso. Not that it probably makes any difference as they would still be prescribing steroid cream.

pauldavid

Veteran
Congrats RR, nice to hear there is hope. I also suffer with Psoriasis although thankfully my skin is not as bad as some. My biggest challenge is Psoriatic arthritis which I am using Methotrexate for at the moment. It is and has been a thoroughly miserable thing to live with for over 20 years for me and it's good to hear that there is still hope of clearing it up

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Congrats RR, nice to hear there is hope. I also suffer with Psoriasis although thankfully my skin is not as bad as some. My biggest challenge is Psoriatic arthritis which I am using Methotrexate for at the moment. It is and has been a thoroughly miserable thing to live with for over 20 years for me and it's good to hear that there is still hope of clearing it up

To be honest i had given up on ever being clear , U V light treatment almost cleared it but as soon as the light therapy comes to an end its back with a vengeance, I never thought i would be able to wear shorts and T shirts (im sure you know what i mean ) at one point i had almost 80%body coverage .
if you have a good dermatologist , their is hope , i know quite a few people who have had good results with the daily injections, good luck with whatever you try :thumbsup:

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
bollox, i had cause to see my gp three weeks agowith high blood pressure 195/90, i was immediatly taken off cyclosporin, within three weeks i am now absolutely covered in psoriasis again head to toe ,worse than i have ever been , absolutely fekin pissed off doesnt begin to desribe how i feel at the moment , i cant get an appointment with dermatologist untill january, dread to think what i will look like by then.
one summer out of 49 ive been able to wear shorts and short sleeves then to be like this again so soon , lifes a bitch sometimes(hmm most of the time actually), oh well, just as well its getting colder , i wont look like a total nob all covered up ( hopefully):sad:

Mrs M

Guru
bollox, i had cause to see my gp three weeks agowith high blood pressure 195/90, i was immediatly taken off cyclosporin, within three weeks i am now absolutely covered in psoriasis again head to toe ,worse than i have ever been , absolutely fekin pissed off doesnt begin to desribe how i feel at the moment , i cant get an appointment with dermatologist untill january, dread to think what i will look like by then.
one summer out of 49 ive been able to wear shorts and short sleeves then to be like this again so soon , lifes a bitch sometimes(hmm most of the time actually), oh well, just as well its getting colder , i wont look like a total nob all covered up ( hopefully):sad:

Sorry to hear that.
Hubby suffers from Eczema and has had a terrible flare up for last few weeks, even steroids haven't helped.
He is expected to wait months for a dermatology appt. GP tried to get quicker appt, nothing, I called and was advised that if appt was deemed urgent he would get one, if not would be ignored and to go back to GP.
I put a post on Patient Opinion online and lo and behold, hub has an appt in just over a weeks time.
May be worth a try?
Best wishes to you, I know how hub suffers and is embarrassed by how his skin looks.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I never replied back to this thread to say that it was psoriasis, the doc agreed when I suggested it as a possibility, though not the glutate one that I wondered about. I wouldn't have thought of it if it wasn't for this thread. Luckily mine is minor in comparison to some others but still really irritating. I've had a good week recently when I haven't needed any cream all week, but I can feel hints that it will be back to normal shortly.

Sorry to hear that yours has flared up @roadrash is there any chance if you get the blood pressure under control that you can go back on it? I know how much I appreciate smooth skin at the moment, something most take for granted. Maybe you will be able to get it under control for when it's time to get the shorts out again.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
[QUOTE 3393264, member: 259"]Blimey - never on the cards for me with my medical background but you have my sympathies. What a horrible disease. Methotrexate is the only thing that works for me, but I have to have liver function tests every month. Without it I get such bad psoriasis on my hands I have to wear gloves all the time and riding a bike is impossible. Can you not get accelerated access to a dermatologist given your background?[/QUOTE]

@User259 the january appointment is supposedly an amergency appointment :wacko:, i am currently wearing gloves, never had it on my hands before , i tried mtx before the cyclosporin but it didnt agree with me, i was also having the blood tests monthly, i just cant beleive how quickly it has returned and much worse than ever before .

@Mrs M , i know how he feels re being embarrassed,i know what people mean when they say dont be or dont let it bother you what other people think but it easier said than done, hope your hubby gets reults:thumbsup:

maltloaf

I suffer from psoriasis. I have scaly elbows, knees and patches on my shins too. It almost cleared up completely whilst I was out every day during the summer but when the missus changed jobs and I couldn't get out as much (as in much less exposure to the sun) it came back as bad as before. I've tried all sorts of creams etc. but most only ease it slightly and for a very short time.

I have tried bee propolis which works actually, in a few days each small area treated flakes off to smooth skin beneath but it comes back if you forget for a couple of days and it's quite a process if you have as many patches as I have, so the chore soon exceeds the benefit.

I itch like a bugger some days and scratch myself raw especially on my shins. Oh I also have similar patches on and inside my ears.

I have suffered in silence and been too busy/proud/stupid to go to the doctors with it but I think I will do after this thread so thank you for that.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Sorry to hear that :sad:

Top Bottom