Psyllium husk vs. powder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

I've been using psyllium husk as a dietary supplement for the past year and it's excellent, but buying it can be super confusing. There's the husk that's light and feathery, and very easy to drink, mixing a teaspoon or two into a glass of water. But some shops sell a powdered version - also confusingly labelled psyllium husk - that is a WHOLE different ball game... Put more than the tiniest spoonful of this into water and within minutes it'll be transformed into a thick, disgusting sludge in which a spoon will happily stand up, but you'll struggle to stir it. Try to pour (or rather tip) it out and it'll come out in a solid brown lump. Nice! Leave a bit on the glass and no amount of scrubbing will get it off. This stuff is truly hideous, and even when mixed with LOADS of water, it isn't as good a fibre supplement as the other version. Avoid at all costs! But the proper, very light husk is superb so don't be put off completely.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've been using psyllium husk as a dietary supplement for the past year and it's excellent, but buying it can be super confusing. There's the husk that's light and feathery, and very easy to drink, mixing a teaspoon or two into a glass of water. But some shops sell a powdered version - also confusingly labelled psyllium husk - that is a WHOLE different ball game... Put more than the tiniest spoonful of this into water and within minutes it'll be transformed into a thick, disgusting sludge in which a spoon will happily stand up, but you'll struggle to stir it. Try to pour (or rather tip) it out and it'll come out in a solid brown lump. Nice! Leave a bit on the glass and no amount of scrubbing will get it off. This stuff is truly hideous, and even when mixed with LOADS of water, it isn't as good a fibre supplement as the other version. Avoid at all costs! But the proper, very light husk is superb so don't be put off completely.

I think I tried that once. It was like drinking wallpaper paste! :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member

In this some sort of food supplement? Sounds horrid!
What’s it meant to do other from part people from their hard earned?!

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I am prescribed Fybogel or Psyllium husk which comes in sachets. Do not let it stand but drink plenty of water immediately after to dilute it further. I was given this advice by a consultant who said if I did not drink plenty of water after it would set like concrete. There was also a demonstration of this at my bedside by a consultant who had a group of students and nurses and had one of them mix it in water and let it stand for a few minutes. Turned pretty solid and a salutary lesson.
I have been on this for quite a few years with no problems.
You may be using too much as the sachets are pretty small.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In this some sort of food supplement? Sounds horrid!
What’s it meant to do other from part people from their hard earned?!

It is dietary fibre. I have severe diverticular problems which needs plenty of fibre for bulk. I do not find it a problem to take considering the possible alternatives.

Top Bottom