Pub names.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I rode past a fairly old pub today called "The Pineapple". It wasn't a wine bar or a trendy hangout but a proper boozer and I was wondering what significance the name has. Anybody know? I don't think it's unique.

Got any interesting pub names?

There's a pub in Disley called "The White Lion", it has a picture of a savannah landscape with a Zebra on the sign.

After driving past 5 days a week for about 4 years I popped in when out cycling. They did it just to get people to go in and ask why.
Worked for me, eventually. Nice pub with good beerage too :blush:.

The Labour in Vain. Best not to know why.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you in stockport longers?

there's a pub that one of our club runs goes past that used to be called the "gay dog inn", now it's just the "dog inn". best bit is the "dog inn car park" sign <snigger>

A controversial one near us.....

"The Black Boy"

Story goes that a local "lady" was dallying with a colored sailor whilst her husband was at sea. When he returned she allegedly tried to wash the child ans scrub him "white". This is depicted in the sign.

Racist or traditional folklore?

Cunobelin said:
A controversial one near us.....

"The Black Boy"

Story goes that a local "lady" was dallying with a colored sailor whilst her husband was at sea. When he returned she allegedly tried to wash the child ans scrub him "white". This is depicted in the sign.

Racist or traditional folklore?

crikey - that's the story behind the 'Labour in Vain'. Credible, given the pub sigh had two Victorian ladies giving a naked black man a going over with scrubbing brushes....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know a pub near Watford called the Black Boy. Their website says this one was to do with the fact that it was on a coaching route, and its was fashionable to have a black boy (skivvy, servant etc) standing on the back of one's carriage. :sad:

bianchi1

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
you in stockport longers?

there's a pub that one of our club runs goes past that used to be called the "gay dog inn", now it's just the "dog inn". best bit is the "dog inn car park" sign <snigger>

We had the same around us. "The gay dog" changed into "the dog" Near persore in worcester. I used to work in a pup called " the drum and monkey "

There's a "Black Boy" quite close to where a mate lives. I think the reason for the name is as Fnaar has stated.

I believe that there was a "Bambi and Slaughter" somewhere nearby, but the name was changed very quickly. The pub in question was part of the "Rat and Carrot" brigade.:sad:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
There was a 'Labour in Vain' in Billinge, halfway between St Helens and Wigan - renamed 'the White Swan' many years ago.
The Pipe and Gannex in Knowsley, Merseyside named after former PM Harold Wilson's pipe and Gannex mac.

What is, perhaps, more interesting are the nicknames given to pubs by the locals.

Widnes has 'The Mucky Duck' officially 'The White Swan'
'The Doctor's' was the nickname for 'The Alexandra' but is now officially 'The Doctor's
'The Cricketers' is nicknamed 'Leggies'
'The Chuch View' -'Jim's Inn' after an old landlord

Huyton Quarry has 'Casey's' nicknamed after a 1920s landlord, officially The Quarry' - if my memory is correct

Prescot
The Hare and Hounds had a penny in the slot weighing machine outside hence 'The Weighing Machine'
'The Dean's House', next to the Parish Church - 'The Paraffin House' because of the taste of the ale.
One I can't remember the name of, I think it is (or was) 'The Victoria' is 'The Long Pull' either because of the steepness of the street or the depth of the cellar.

Top Bottom