Public Service Announcement: Landline not working...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

It’s copper landlines that is coming to an end, not fibre optic landline that is replacing it.
Yes & no, yes copper landlines are coming to an end, there is no such thing as a fibre optic landline, all numbers will be virtual, don't shoot the messenger, I'm only passing on what Ofcom have decided.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes.

Phaeton thinks this is not a landline though if it is a fibre line coming into the house, rather than an old-fsahioned copper pair line.

I don't know why he thinks that, as he hasn't explained it.

Phaeton doesn't 'think' anything, Phaeton 'knows', it is yourself that 'think's' they 'know' better, but heyho that's life why should somebody with over 40 years experience in the business he is still currently working in know what he's on about.

Alex321

Veteran
There is a sim card in the wireless route so not a wire, copper fibre or otherwise in sight.

you grasped it on #32, but the comment applies to #31 where you were bombastically insisting there was a wire going into @tyred's abode.

I did no such thing. Post #31 was not in any way referring to tyred. Nor insisting there was a wire going anywhere.

In another post (#26), I *asked* whether there was.

Alex321

Veteran
Phaeton doesn't 'think' anything, Phaeton 'knows', it is yourself that 'think's' they 'know' better, but heyho that's life why should somebody with over 40 years experience in the business he is still currently working in know what he's on about.

Well perhaps you could give us some insight then into why a fibre line to the premises is not classed as a landline?

You suggested I wasn't willing to be educated, but I am perfectly willing. You have made no attempt to educate, just made a bald statement with no explanation.

Tell us why it isn't called a landline, and who has decided that. You vaguely mention OFCOM above, but even their guidance doesn't seem to suggest that.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls

Note
"Customers who want to keep a landline phone will need to move to a VoIP service"

And further on
"Before you switch to a digital landline"

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm equally interested in knowing when a line going via your land into your house isn't a landline. In the meantime, I'm confused.

a.twiddler

Veteran
If a copper landline is being replaced with a fibre landline that isn't a landline, I'm confused too. Does that mean it's a virtual landline? At the moment contractors are bringing full fibre to parts of our town. Curiously, some of our neighbours have had it already and the holes have been filled in. Apparently we and others are scheduled to have it "in the near future". Meanwhile there seem to be a lot of virtual holes being dug by a lot of virtual machinery with virtual workmen in virtual hi viz with lots of virtual barriers and virtual traffic lights and virtual traffic diversions about the town. I hope it will be worth it in the end. Virtually.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes & no, yes copper landlines are coming to an end, there is no such thing as a fibre optic landline, all numbers will be virtual, don't shoot the messenger, I'm only passing on what Ofcom have decided.

The physical connection is landline, the medium is fibre optic. If it’s not transmitted as radio waves, it is landline.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My land line is not working. I have complained twice. The first time they closed my complaint and said it was working. The second time the nice Indian fellow confirmed there was a problem between my phone and the green cabinet (I cannot remember seeing one of those in years). However, when I tried to arrange appointment their website would not allow me to open up the fault I reported. It is alright to say land lines are obsolete, but I pay BT for it. Mobile phones are not 100% reliable. There are all sorts of settings, volume controls and flip switches that can stop them ringing, and they can develop faults you are not aware of. Calls get disconnected even on national radio. I recently missed an important call because my mobile phone developed a fault whereby it would not ring the first call, but would the second if it was not too long after the first. It is not as if my landline is connected to a copper cable to the telephone exchange. It's the same line my internet comes down.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ahhhh does not one call you or send cards ?
No cards (exceptions are the local church :ohmy: and one friend abroad - that's because we exchange small presents at Christmas, my other friends abroad What'sApp etc.
Friends here, well, I wish them Season's Greetings in person.
The only calls I get on my mobile are work or spam.
Bit rough. You opposed to Christmas or communicating with people who you might consider friends and relatives?

The paradox of you posting here is just that.
I like Christmas, and love communicating, but I don't need a landline or Christmas cards to express that :tongue:
If a copper landline is being replaced with a fibre landline that isn't a landline, I'm confused too. Does that mean it's a virtual landline?
Aye, it's calls over your broadband.
Like calling over Skype or What'sApp or Messenger.
You get a socket with 2 ports, one for your router, one for your phone, should you choose to have one.
You will need a different handset, a VOIP handset.
VOIP=Voice Over Internet Protocol
The above is valid for the likes of BT, Sky, etc.
I'm with Virgin at the moment, with no "landline", but many years ago I remember Virgin giving you 2 sockets, one for the router, one for the phone.
It's probably just the one socket nowadays.

Top Bottom