Pull Ups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

Ok you may remember I posted a thread about the 'Bleep Test Challenge', well i managed to complete that. So this time around i've been challenged to complete 24 pull ups in one set (double my current max) in 6 weeks! It was issued to me by a friend in the pub after talking about PE at school, and how in Russia they complete Pull ups everyday! do people think this would be a good idea in the UK? I think schools need to start taking physical fitness more seriously.

Also I', interested whether people do them regularly, as part of a training regime? How many can you do?

barnesy

I used to box and in training we would do 4 or 5 sets of 5, proper pull ups.

Ive always had a pull up bar on a door frame in the house and i stopped boxing 2 years ago.

A few months ago i went to use the bar and i couldnt even do 3, this was my motivation to join the gym.

I now do 4 sets of 5 quite comfortably each session in the gym, i prefer doing sets, not sure how many i could do in one go

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

I used to box and in training we would do 4 or 5 sets of 5, proper pull ups.

Ive always had a pull up bar on a door frame in the house and i stopped boxing 2 years ago.

A few months ago i went to use the bar and i couldnt even do 3, this was my motivation to join the gym.

I now do 4 sets of 5 quite comfortably each session in the gym, i prefer doing sets, not sure how many i could do in one go

Good effort, nice one for getting back on it as well! Yes proper form is a must, no leg movement is allowed.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
They used to be part of my daily routine. On leaving the flat in the morning, there's a hole to the attic. I used to push away the panel and do them there, wearing gardening gloves to protect my hands. I aimed for 20.

I nearly always finish my gym work out with pull ups, If I can do ten or more I am OK if its between five and nine I accept that it has been a hard work out but below five then it's time for extra work outs. Having said that, this is what suits me. It may not be right for some one that is well above their weight.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How many can you do?

None. On the other hand I have a resting heart rate of 45, despite being fat to look at and between 1 and 3 stone overweight. Arm/tricep strength is not the only measure of fitness, nor even the most useful one.

Garz

Squat Member
Depends on what you class as a 'pull up'.

Some would disguise them as a chin up involving the biceps/arms...
rolleyes.gif
anyway.. the wide grip pull ups are what I would call 'proper' ones and without focusing on this type over a few weeks they are very hard to even complete ten (full range).

Like mentioned earlier I think I can struggle to hit about twelve in one go, although if I trained for hitting a high number you could probably get beyond twenty in no time. They are great for building upper body strength particularly the shoulders/lats (wings).

Cyclists don't really need these and would add weight which is probably not a good thing to most
biggrin.gif

Back on topic, I did do them regularly once when I was working away all the time with a specific tool that allows you to hook the unit over a door frame (and do other exercises too). After a few weeks you can see the difference and could do a set of fifteen, ten then eight. I dont do them at the moment but would incorporate them into a circuit session any-time as they are a great strength builder.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

None. On the other hand I have a resting heart rate of 45, despite being fat to look at and between 1 and 3 stone overweight. Arm/tricep strength is not the only measure of fitness, nor even the most useful one.

Never said it was, but jeez you sound slightly bitter! I have to say though, resting heart rate is equally useless when it comes to general fitness... Some people have naturally low heart rates, some the other extreme... Have to say though that i'd expect most people to be able to do at least one.

Nkaj

I try to do some chin ups every other day.I used to do small fast ones but now i try and allow my arms to become fully straight before lifting and after doing a few of these i feel like God :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ok you may remember I posted a thread about the 'Bleep Test Challenge', well i managed to complete that. So this time around i've been challenged to complete 24 pull ups in one set (double my current max) in 6 weeks! It was issued to me by a friend in the pub after talking about PE at school, and how in Russia they complete Pull ups everyday! do people think this would be a good idea in the UK? I think schools need to start taking physical fitness more seriously.

Also I', interested whether people do them regularly, as part of a training regime? How many can you do?

I dont do them because its not suited to my goals, and in reality, I probly cant even do a single one (most certainly cant do a single chin-up which relies on the lats, maybe 1 or 2 pull ups which rely on biceps), I have pathetic levels of upper body strength, back when I used to do weights and I could deadlift and squat over 100kg, but bench press maxed at barely over 50kg, lmao. I am a freak, my legs are deptive (scrawny but strong) but my puny arms are pretty representative of my upper body strength :tongue:!

Crankarm

Guru
Chin ups are great for not only increasing up body strength, but also core strength. They are a great way coupled with crunches to burn fat around one's middle and quickly acquire well defined stomach and rib cage muscles. I think a month of doing them 6 days a week would see one become significantly more toned and stronger. They also strengthen back muscles and improve posture. I do 4 sets of 20 when out running.

Garz

Squat Member
Chin ups are great for not only increasing up body strength, but also core strength. They are a great way coupled with crunches to burn fat around one's middle and quickly acquire well defined stomach and rib cage muscles. I think a month of doing them 6 days a week would see one become significantly more toned and stronger. They also strengthen back muscles and improve posture. I do 4 sets of 20 when out running.

Hmm the debate on whether 'burning fat around one's middle' is focused by doing a specific exercise (in this case pull-ups/crunches) is a bit of a placebo IMO. It will as you say strengthen and help look toned.

I am intrigued though how you do "4 sets of 20 when out running"...

biggrin.gif

Bill Gates

How much do you weigh?

jimboalee

Hmm the debate on whether 'burning fat around one's middle' is focused by doing a specific exercise (in this case pull-ups/crunches) is a bit of a placebo IMO. It will as you say strengthen and help look toned.

I am intrigued though how you do "4 sets of 20 when out running"...

biggrin.gif

At bus stops.:laugh:

Top Bottom