Pull Ups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Excuse me for being blunt, but get off your high horse and stop talking out of your arse. The reason that everyone has jumped down your throat is because what you said was categorically wrong, it is often said, and often repeated, and always wrong. Doing exercise will result in fat loss, doing specifically sit ups or pull ups or anything else will not result in you losing fat from around your middle any faster than any other exercise. You cannot chose where on your body to lose fat from; where you gain and lose fat from first and last is down to genetics.

What a charming individual you are. Perhaps you could harness your aggression by trying to do a pull up. I wouldn't want to be one of your family on your tandem when you throw a tantrum because some one isn't pulling (no pun intended) their weight ..........

What's with the horse????

Ben M

I like the way that when you realise that you were wrong about the topic under discussion you decide to speculate about my fitness. Which, I will have you know, is just fine thanks granddad ;)

Bill Gates

What a charming individual you are. Perhaps you could harness your aggression by trying to do a pull up. I wouldn't want to be one of your family on your tandem when you throw a tantrum because some one isn't pulling (no pun intended) their weight ..........

What's with the horse????

OK so for the third time. How much do you weigh? Any danger of a reply?

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen - you manage one? Then the day after you manage two. By the weekend you can do 3 and on it goes. The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.

Not afraid of failure (I've gotten used to it over the years
whistling.gif
)

I guess it's just do them regularly and always aim for n+1... just like owning a bike

I am going to dip out of this thread now, before the war starts... have fun with Crankarm
wink.gif

walker

Going back to pull ups, My simple back strengthener is supersetting Weighted Pull ups with bent over cable flys. 3 sets of 10 with minimal rest in between

ChrisBD

Ok you may remember I posted a thread about the 'Bleep Test Challenge', well i managed to complete that. So this time around i've been challenged to complete 24 pull ups in one set (double my current max) in 6 weeks! It was issued to me by a friend in the pub after talking about PE at school, and how in Russia they complete Pull ups everyday! do people think this would be a good idea in the UK? I think schools need to start taking physical fitness more seriously.

Also I', interested whether people do them regularly, as part of a training regime? How many can you do?

I think its a shambles the way physical fitness it "embraced" in schools. I was at my daughter's spors day this year for the first time; granted at 7 years I was not expecting to see hurdles, javelin etc but I was astounded to see no competition or values of physical effort being promoted.

The day (morning) was split in two.

Part one a series of "sports" tasks with points being awarded to each house based on individual performance. Tasks included hula-hoop, skiping, jumping on the spot etc with everyon who participated getting 10 house points and those who "opted-out" getting 5 points. Regardless of effort, or success.

Now this I scoffed at; but ok, its PCdome going a bit far. Not an egg / spoon race or sack race in sight.

Part two was a series of 10, 20, 40 yard runs based on class / age group. Again points to each house. Top three finish was 10 points, everyone else 5 points!!!!!!

This make me choke.

The icing on the cake? Prior to the "races" the deputy head presented to the children and anounced that competing was not the aim, there was no onus on them to "race", it was not a "competition" and joining in and having fun was the priority!!

The cherry on the icing? During one "race", my daughter's best friend was cheering for her elder brother and managed to get the rest of her class to join in. Said teachers told her off in front of everyone for cheering him on. "We have to support everyone, no favourates...."

In all fairness this brother and sister are not academically hot, not slow but not top of the class either. Good children, and from a very sporting family.

What the hell message does a day like this convey to children (aged 7 - 14 in this case) about physicall fitness and competition?

So yes, in my book schools need to buck up their ideas and it starts with the facts that in sport / excercise (just as in academia) there are winers and losers. Some are better than others.

As for chin-ups; yes. Pyramid sets three to four times a week.

Crankarm

Guru
I think its a shambles the way physical fitness it "embraced" in schools. I was at my daughter's spors day this year for the first time; granted at 7 years I was not expecting to see hurdles, javelin etc but I was astounded to see no competition or values of physical effort being promoted.

The day (morning) was split in two.

Part one a series of "sports" tasks with points being awarded to each house based on individual performance. Tasks included hula-hoop, skiping, jumping on the spot etc with everyon who participated getting 10 house points and those who "opted-out" getting 5 points. Regardless of effort, or success.

Now this I scoffed at; but ok, its PCdome going a bit far. Not an egg / spoon race or sack race in sight.

Part two was a series of 10, 20, 40 yard runs based on class / age group. Again points to each house. Top three finish was 10 points, everyone else 5 points!!!!!!

This make me choke.

The icing on the cake? Prior to the "races" the deputy head presented to the children and anounced that competing was not the aim, there was no onus on them to "race", it was not a "competition" and joining in and having fun was the priority!!

The cherry on the icing? During one "race", my daughter's best friend was cheering for her elder brother and managed to get the rest of her class to join in. Said teachers told her off in front of everyone for cheering him on. "We have to support everyone, no favourates...."

In all fairness this brother and sister are not academically hot, not slow but not top of the class either. Good children, and from a very sporting family.

What the hell message does a day like this convey to children (aged 7 - 14 in this case) about physicall fitness and competition?

So yes, in my book schools need to buck up their ideas and it starts with the facts that in sport / excercise (just as in academia) there are winers and losers. Some are better than others.

As for chin-ups; yes. Pyramid sets three to four times a week.

We're doomed ................

Top Bottom