Pull Ups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SonofSid

+1 re; targetted fat loss. My understanding is that you can't burn it from specific areas. It just don't work like that. Wish it did...

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

I didn't think it was even necessary to say that targeted fat loss is not possible, it's a no brainer. Does Crank not mean that you can tone up certain areas, but got his words slightly muddled up?

Crankarm

Guru
I get the impression that those taking issue with me do not actually do what I do 1) because they can't 2) are armchair athletes 3) are keyboard warriors or 4) are themselves lardy :laugh:.

To all you doubters get off your butts go run some miles, preferrably 7-8 miles a day, and do some chin ups and crunches preferably 4 sets of 20. Do this 5/6 days out of 7 for a month. Then report back :rolleyes: . I also do 4 sets of 20 squat thrusts and 50 press ups. Feeling tired? Any lower lips quivering???? I also do a whole lot of stretching exercises and massage.

RedBike

3/4 years ago I used to lift weights. I could easily do a pull up. In fact I used to think nothing of doing 5-10 in a row.
I've just started going to the gym again; and one of things i've been trying to manage is a pull up. So far I haven't even managed one.

Eoin Rua

I've just started going to the gym again; and one of things i've been trying to manage is a pull up. So far I haven't even managed one.

Same with any form of exercise really...just takes a while to get back into after a break. Nothing stopping anyone from easily doing 20+ except a bit of hard work! I used to do 100+ in sets of 12s when I would be in the gym, and I could easily manage 40+ in one go, although I would seriously struggle at the moment because I've stopped focusing on that exercise...best exercise for a ripped back though! :tongue:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
So for someone who can barely manage 3 'good form' pull ups, how do I go about improving ?

I have a wall mounted chin up bar with wide, narrow and parallel grips that I have never been able to get to grips with (excuse the pun).
Is it just a case of trying to do as many as I can every day and when I can do 8 or so, start doing more sets ?

Presume a wide grip is the best exercise, but I think I will sort out basic chin ups (with palms facing me) before I try anything more difficult.

rolleyes.gif

Garz

Squat Member
I get the impression that those taking issue with me do not actually do what I do 1) because they can't 2) are armchair athletes 3) are keyboard warriors or 4) are themselves lardy :laugh:.

You are not just my hero but our hero! :laugh:

As I said earlier.. wide grip pull ups are far harder than the chin ups, and none of these exercises will strip fat off a specific area. They may add to some calorie burning effect and speed metabolism to an extent but wont remove fat.

If this were true crankarm (what your implying) then all those adverts for sit-up machine home equipment would have everyone ripped and skinny waists.
rolleyes.gif

Ben M

To all you doubters get off your butts go run some miles, preferrably 7-8 miles a day, and do some chin ups and crunches preferably 4 sets of 20. Do this 5/6 days out of 7 for a month. Then report back :rolleyes: . I also do 4 sets of 20 squat thrusts and 50 press ups. Feeling tired? Any lower lips quivering???? I also do a whole lot of stretching exercises and massage.

Excuse me for being blunt, but get off your high horse and stop talking out of your arse. The reason that everyone has jumped down your throat is because what you said was categorically wrong, it is often said, and often repeated, and always wrong. Doing exercise will result in fat loss, doing specifically sit ups or pull ups or anything else will not result in you losing fat from around your middle any faster than any other exercise. You cannot chose where on your body to lose fat from; where you gain and lose fat from first and last is down to genetics.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

So for someone who can barely manage 3 'good form' pull ups, how do I go about improving ?

I have a wall mounted chin up bar with wide, narrow and parallel grips that I have never been able to get to grips with (excuse the pun).
Is it just a case of trying to do as many as I can every day and when I can do 8 or so, start doing more sets ?

Presume a wide grip is the best exercise, but I think I will sort out basic chin ups (with palms facing me) before I try anything more difficult.

rolleyes.gif

You could try the twenty pull up challange, http://twentypullups.com/

It seems to be a pretty decent regime.
biggrin.gif

Crankarm

Guru

rolleyes.gif

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen - you manage one? Then the day after you manage two. By the weekend you can do 3 and on it goes. The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.

Top Bottom