Pump curse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I was out this morning and after about 15 miles my steering felt a little off. Turned out my front tyre was a little soft. It was OK when I left home so I thought I had a slow puncture. However I pumped it up with my Topeak Mini Master Blaster... eventually. I have only used it once or twice and still don't like it. Life is too short to spend so long getting a bit of air into a tyre. Also I thought I would firm up my rear tyre while I was at it and did a decent job of bending the end bit of the presta valve. I am going back to my long alloy 30 year old Bluemels pump with flexible connector. It might be old fashioned but half a dozen pumps and the jobs done.

mt5zrm6z755RaBLr_DCUTfw.jpg

3 hours later the tyres are still hard. I guess where the air went will remain one of life's little mysteries.

HovR

Über Member
I also had the end bit of the vavle become bent from the use of a direct-connection pump - I bent it back with a pair of pliers, seemed to do the trick!

The Topeak Road Morph pump has a flexible hose so is recommended for not damaging tubes, and is basically a miniature track pump so is nice and easy to use.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I also had the end bit of the vavle become bent from the use of a direct-connection pump - I bent it back with a pair of pliers, seemed to do the trick!

The Topeak Road Morph pump has a flexible hose so is recommended for not damaging tubes, and is basically a miniature track pump so is nice and easy to use.

I have just successfully bent the pin back to more or less straight (what is that bit called?). I like the look of the Road Morph pump but can't really justify the expense at present.

deanE

I use the mini morph. flexible hose, presta and shraeder valves, bit that flips out like a foot pump, and horizontal handle. No gauge but soon pumps up to “pretty hard”. Thought I had lost it last week when I came out from cake stop and it wasn’t there, but traced route back and there is was tucked away in gutter waiting for me to rescue it.

D

Deleted member 22722

I recently purchased one of these:
http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5941
and a box of these:
http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=256&category=2

the compactness, speed and ease of use on the road is fantastic, my mini pump is going into retirement as soon as the inflator for my second bike arrives.

I've got a similar device but as of yet haven't had cause to use it. However what i've always wondered is how do you regulate these when using them. i.e how do I know when i've reached 120psi as they don't have a gauge? Knowing my luck i'd over inflate the tube and have it explode on me 200m further down the road.

Oldspice

I've got a similar device but as of yet haven't had cause to use it. However what i've always wondered is how do you regulate these when using them. i.e how do I know when i've reached 120psi as they don't have a gauge? Knowing my luck i'd over inflate the tube and have it explode on me 200m further down the road.

Squeeze your tyre:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22722

Yeah, maybe I've been overthinking this one :smile:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

That pump take me back. It's the one that we used for all the bikes and footballs when i was young. It's still in use today.

That photo took me back, too. I had a road bike about a million years ago with one of those pumps.

Isn't it funny how you can completely forget about something, but just one picture and it triggers a whole raft of memories associated with that time. Or maybe it's just early onset Alzheimers in my case.....

Top Bottom