Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there,

Ok so I'm thinking of getting rid of my frame mounted pump ( I hate looking at it) and going down the co2 route. Basically I need a system that's reliable and easy to stash in a rear pocket.....can anyone recommend a decent pump system??

Hi there,

Ok so I'm thinking of getting rid of my frame mounted pump ( I hate looking at it) and going down the co2 route. Basically I need a system that's reliable and easy to stash in a rear pocket.....can anyone recommend a decent pump system??
You won't like this......but I have both. CO2 canister with valve and mini pump just in case.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just take 3 CO2 cartridges and one of these; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-cnc-co2-inflator-thread-on-valve-head/. In my experience those mini pumps are useless.
Try the Lezyne Rooster1 linked to or a Topek Pocket Rocket and you might think different. They are a vast improvement on the frame ornaments that used to pass for a pump.

The trouble with Co2 is sooner or later the seal on the inflator will give up the ghost after being exposed to the freezing gas and you are stranded.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You won't like this......but I have both. CO2 canister with valve and mini pump just in case.

Yep, me too. Just make sure you've got a decent mini-pump. I had a cheap one that was absolutely bobbins, but very quickly replaced it with a Topeak Road Rocket which does a much better job.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The trouble with Co2 is sooner or later the seal on the inflator will give up the ghost after being exposed to the freezing gas and you are stranded.

Er... that seal may be exposed to extreme cold for about a minute a year. How is that going to mess it up?

We've given up on pumps. They clutter up a nice-looking bike and there's nothing more dispiriting or undignified than crouching by the roadside pumping away like an obsessive onanist. Five seconds with the CO2 dispenser is elegantly quick and easy and less inconvenient to your cycling buddies. Get moving, get home, check the tyre for damage and re-inflate with your track pump. We carry three cylinders between two of us and if that fails another cyclist will come along soon enough or it's time to shoulder the bike and stick out a thumb.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not idiotic, it's perfectly well-reasoned. In the unlikely event that you run out of gas you won't have a long walk; you will see a fellow cyclist coming along who will help you out, you will shoulder the bike and hitch a lift home, you will call a taxi or even call your wife/husband/mum/dad or whoever to come and pick you up.

Top Bottom