Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
As others have said, carry CO2 by all means, but carry a pump just in case. I have one of the Lezynes previously mentioned, it fits in a mount beside one of my bottle cages and it's pretty unobtrusive, and is capable of getting a tyre inflated to a decent pressure.

Nibor

Bewildered
If you carry only Co2 how do you get the tube "started" so it doesn't get trapped under the bead? Or is we all tubeless these days?
I couldn't be bothered fiddling with the pump the other day so started mine by blowing it up with my mouth a bit. It was a forgiving tyre though

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Has anyone else had problems with Co2 permeating through the rubber of inner tube ?

When I used Co2 - I would find myself having to add more air with a pump, the next day or so after

si_c

Guru
Has anyone else had problems with Co2 permeating through the rubber of inner tube ?

When I used Co2 - I would find myself having to add more air with a pump, the next day or so after

This will happen when you use Co2 as there are imperfections in the tube which allow some gas to escape when the molecule size is small enough. This is why you need to top up your tubes every now and again even if you haven't ridden in a while. Usual advise with Co2 is that it will get you home but once there let the gas out and reinflate with a track pump.

Alternatively you can just accept the loss of pressure and top up as you have been doing.

GuyBoden

Guru
dbdflattyrexo7.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
I suck my butyl tubes flat then roll them tight, taping them up with a couple of plastic tyre levers. That dense little bundle goes in a jersey pocket when I'm on the best bike which doesn't have a saddle bag. When you need the tube you can easily give it shape by blowing with your mouth. A CO2 cylinder will inflate a couple of tyres if you're careful not to over-inflate the first and the device will hold the gas for the second fill indefinitely, I've found. I don't worry about waste because the used cylinder goes in the recycling bin. When I get home I let the CO2 out, sometimes remove and inspect the tyre thoroughly then re-inflate it with air so it stays up for longer. I use lightweight Veloflex Open Corsa tyres with latex inners for their supreme grip and comfort and the only downside is the relatively fragile carcass, which is why I like to inspect them carefully after a puncture or a pinch puncture.

gbb

Legendary Member
I did consider a CO2 inflator once, I asked in my LBS....he wasn't very constructive despite the potential for a sale. 'Yeah, they're ok but not perfect' was his kind of mildly negative answer. His cycling experience far surpasses mine so I trust his judgement.
I stuck with my frame pump...quite happily I might add. Yes its uglyish on the bike....but I can't see it when I'm riding.
I once rode a quiet 2 mile ish section of road towards town once and passed about 10 newly discarded cartridges over that distance. I wonder how much that lot cost ?

Top Bottom