Puncture results in an imaginary husband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My history of punctures since I started cycling everywhere 6 years ago:
one on the cheap Kendas that came with my first bike: took the train home, googled how to change an inner tube.
One pinch flat after fitting my first Marathons, walked what was left to work, changed the inner indoors.
One spectacular valve failure (bumm!) on a sunny day at the cafe stop, changed the tube in the sunshine.
One slow puncture two summers ago, got to work by topping the air up a few times, changed the tube there.
Until tonight, dark, drizzly, cold: puncture just over a mile from home.
I could have pushed the bike the short distance, but then it dawned on me that I have never actually fixed a flat at the roadside in adverse conditions, so I found a safe place under a covered bike shelter and did just that.
A curious gentleman emerged from the pub, said he would have liked to help but regrettably was a bit drunk, told me he admired the fact that I was not going to give my bike to my husband to fix.
Yeah, well, I said, the poor man is busy enough with his work.
I don't have a husband :whistle:
Note to myself: a little light with a head strap has to be added to my tool bottle: those energy saving street lights aren't half dim when you are trying to locate the valve hole!
The Pocked Rocket I picked up years ago half price in Halfords, lent to plenty but never used myself before tonight, is the bee's knees: 200 strokes give just over 30 psi according to Joe Blow, so if I'm further from home I need at least 400 strokes. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have had 6 so far this year !
Bit of cycle path i have to use is particularity bad this winter , especially now the storms have dumped mud, twigs , bits of glass and even a women's shoe .

Best one ever was a double one 3-4 winters ago when i only had one tube and it was so cold the rubber cement was not working properly .

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
+1 for the CO2 inflation idea ^^ Well worth the investment.
Reduces the hundreds of pushes to just one press. Mini pumps should be for triple tube failure emergencies in this day and age.

I've tried to show my wife a tube change and reinflation a few times now (indoors, in the light) and she's still not confident. I think you probably need those awkward situations to learn properly Pat, so good on you. If you can do it on a windy and wet night in Wigan on a Wednesday, you can do it anywhere.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Decathlon head torch from £3.99 including batteries. And one of the Morph pumps.
Dunno about an imaginary husband, but I once knew someone who had what she called a boyfriend substitute. Which looked a bit like a minipump, now I come to think of it.

I used a Black Diamond Ion torch in my kit - no bigger than a 50 p and two reasonable LEDS. Unfortunately it stopped working and the updtaed version was about twice the size

Black-Diamond-Ion-Headtorch.jpg

I now use a Petzl E+lite which comes in its own protective case and will fit onto a cap / visor as well as a simple headband

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You count your strokes ?
Yes, an idea I got from @SatNavSaysStraightOn, I think it's handy to know if you're up to pressure when far away from home.
I also got a Planet X mini track pump, and a Edinburgh Coop mini track pump both with pressure gauge.
For somebody that gets a puncture every 18 months I have an awful lot of pumps, eh? :laugh:
They get mostly used on group rides, by others.

+1 for the CO2 inflation idea ^^ Well worth the investment.
Not sure about them: I use gas canisters at work (to whip up cream) and more often than not you need to use two, the first attempt fails.
I might buy one for the bikes nevertheless, a girl can never have to many inflators ^_^

Decathlon head torch from £3.99 including batteries

I used a Black Diamond Ion torch in my kit -
Cheers, I already have a head torch, will try remember to put it in my panniers ... or next time go change the inner in the nearest pub :biggrin:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, an idea I got from @SatNavSaysStraightOn, I think it's handy to know if you're up to pressure when far away from home.
I also got a Planet X mini track pump, and a Edinburgh Coop mini track pump both with pressure gauge.
For somebody that gets a puncture every 18 months I have an awful lot of pumps, eh? :laugh:
They get mostly used on group rides, by others.

Not sure about them: I use gas canisters at work (to whip up cream) and more often than not you need to use two, the first attempt fails.
I might buy one for the bikes nevertheless, a girl can never have to many inflators ^_^

Cheers, I already have a head torch, will try remember to put it in my panniers ... or next time go change the inner in the nearest pub :biggrin:

I try to remember to take my cheapo Asda head torch on longer dark rides.

Handy for any mechanical, or if you want to stop to look at an unlit signpost.

More from a male perspective it also helps you avoid falling into a ditch if you need to nip behind a bush.

Top Bottom