Puncture to Mileage Ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never once had a puncture on my road bike.
:ohmy:

I had the 2 last year and covered 9,000km between 4 bikes (but only 3 sets of wheels) and one of those seems to have been a faulty valve on a batch of inner tubes (the other 2 did exactly the same to my OH on his bikes). Prior to that it would have 1 year at 5,000km on the road bike, not sure on the other bikes

So my road bike would have covered probably 5,000 miles (8,000km) between fairy visits
my mountain bike is best not considered - OK probably only 300-500 miles (500-800km) between visits...
my touring bike last visit was Greece Dec 2011 until this summer just gone and that was the faulty valve... don't really know the distance, but probably not more than 2-3,000km this time round. last time round was 14,000km (8,700 miles)...

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I reckon I've only had 4 punctures in about 40,000 miles since I started cycling 4 years ago.

So, 1 every 10K miles.

Anyone beat that?

Who's got the worst ratio?

I believe that just by saying or writing the P word you will double the number of involuntary deflations by at least 50%.
I had 2 in appx. 2000 miles last year - but as I ride a trike I am of course 50% more prone to this happening.

According to Steve Abraham, "it's quicker to mend two punctures a day than to ride Marathon Plus" (that's on 220 mile days).
http://thebikeshow.net/a-year-on-two-wheels/ (podcast, 28:50, start listening at 28:00)
That is an interesting quote and something I've long felt very strongly about. Whether he actually measured the difference between fixing punctures and riding on retarded tyres is a different story, but I get his point. They just feel sluggish and if the effect is even just psychological, it is worth removing.
The effect of these tyres can be nicely illustrated by pushing a supermarket trolley over a PVC spaghetti mat.

pvC loop mat.JPG

Typically these are installed at the entrance to a shop and is surrounded by tiles. The trolley moves really easily over the tiles but as soon as you hit the spaghetti, you can feel the resistance of the mat. Marathon tyres do the same, however, you don't have the benefit of a quick before/after as with the mat experiment.

Last edited:

paddypete

punctures are like buses

U

User6179

Bought a Gatorskin to try again after the last one was puncture prone , got 10 mile before puncturing :biggrin:

andyfraser

Über Member
That is an interesting quote and something I've long felt very strongly about. Whether he actually measured the difference between fixing punctures and riding on retarded tyres is a different story, but I get his point. They just feel sluggish and if the effect is even just psychological, it is worth removing.
The effect of these tyres can be nicely illustrated by pushing a supermarket trolley over a PVC spaghetti mat.

View attachment 80387

Typically these are installed at the entrance to a shop and is surrounded by tiles. The trolley moves really easily over the tiles but as soon as you hit the spaghetti, you can feel the resistance of the mat. Marathon tyres do the same, however, you don't have the benefit of a quick before/after as with the mat experiment.
I think that's a bit harsh. True, but harsh. M+ tyres aren't for putting on your road bike then riding 50 miles or more for fun. They're for putting on a commuter or shopping bike where adding an extra 5 minutes to your commute or journey to the shops doesn't matter as much as punctures do.

As I said before, I'll happily fix punctures on a leisure ride but I'd rather get to work or the shops without any hassle.

I think that's a bit harsh. True, but harsh. M+ tyres aren't for putting on your road bike then riding 50 miles or more for fun. They're for putting on a commuter or shopping bike where adding an extra 5 minutes to your commute or journey to the shops doesn't matter as much as punctures do.

As I said before, I'll happily fix punctures on a leisure ride but I'd rather get to work or the shops without any hassle.

Who was harsh? Steve Abrahams or me? I sort of agree with your commuting analogy but think the solution is tubeless, not sluggish tyres.

Serious question because I honestly don't know: why is tubeless the solution?
It gives you good rolling resistance and puncture protection. I'm obviously talking tubeless with liquid sealant. It works best with low pressure tyres which by implication means wide tyres. Tubeless on narrow 700C is available but so expensive that you may as well drive to work in a Bentley. Further, 700C tubeless looks like high hysteresis tyres to me - thick and sluggish.

Top Bottom