Punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris2014

Been riding my hybrid crosstrail bike for 5 years, never any punctures. I started riding my mountain bike about 5 weeks ago and so far, over the same surfaces, two punctures?!? Why would it be so different?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just check what's written on the sidewalls. Hybrids often come with some form of puncture protection in the tyres, but depending on the MTB, you sometimes get cheap tyres without any protection, or the casing isn't as good.

What tyres are on both bikes.

OP
OP
C

Chris2014

Just check what's written on the sidewalls. Hybrids often come with some form of puncture protection in the tyres, but depending on the MTB, you sometimes get cheap tyres without any protection, or the casing isn't as good.

What tyres are on both bikes.
This would make sense I suppose - different tyres have different strengths. I won't know until I get home tonight, what their specs are.

OP
OP
C

Chris2014

You don't want those.
They're solid rubber.
Did you get punctures from objects penetrating the tyre or were they pinch flats aka snake bites?
I won't know until tonight. What's a pinch flat when it's about?

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the tyres and inner tubes that are the most resistant to punctures?
Inner tubes don't think there's much difference (you could try the slime ones, marmite things, although green) , punctures 'allegedly' Schwalbe marathon Plus, but they are heavy, hard sluggish things, not sure if they do in MTB guise (or something similar)

Tim Hall

I won't know until tonight. What's a pinch flat when it's about?
When you pinch the inner tube between the ground and the rim as the tyre bulges outwards. Top causes are having the pressure too low and/or hitting something hard,like a kerb or edge of a pothole. Giveaway signs that it's happened are (a) no sharp object in tyre and (b) a pair of holes, not just one. Sometimes called snakebite puncture for that reason.

OP
OP
C

Chris2014

Inner tubes don't think there's much difference (you could try the slime ones, marmite things, although green) , punctures 'allegedly' Schwalbe marathon Plus, but they are heavy, hard sluggish things, not sure if they do in MTB guise (or something similar)
Thank you - will look into these.

OP
OP
C

Chris2014

When you pinch the inner tube between the ground and the rim as the tyre bulges outwards. Top causes are having the pressure too low and/or hitting something hard,like a kerb or edge of a pothole. Giveaway signs that it's happened are (a) no sharp object in tyre and (b) a pair of holes, not just one. Sometimes called snakebite puncture for that reason.
I didn't hit any kerbs or potholes this morning and thinking about it, it's happened both times to same (rear) wheel.

I didn't hit any kerbs or potholes this morning and thinking about it, it's happened both times to same (rear) wheel.
Did you inspect the tubes and tyres afterwards?
Did you ascertain what caused the puncture?
Did you remove the object that caused the puncture?
What shape was the hole in the tube?

Top Bottom