Punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What are the tyres and inner tubes that are the most resistant to punctures?
Tannus Aither.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Inner tubes don't think there's much difference (you could try the slime ones, marmite things, although green) , punctures 'allegedly' Schwalbe marathon Plus, but they are heavy, hard sluggish things, not sure if they do in MTB guise (or something similar)
They do indeed do MTB sizes of Marathon Plus, but the official weight is a mindblowing 1.1kg per tyre in 26x2.0" - for comparison, Marathon Supreme is under 600g and Road Cruiser is 720g albeit in 26x1.75" (widest available)

mjr

Mate at work has just been recommending gel inner tubes. What's the verdict here on those please?
I don't like them because they're more expensive, messy if you get a big puncture and they go off eventually, necessitating a tube replacement. I sometimes use sealant canisters if I'm in a hurry or it's too cold to stop to do a proper patch, but they're also pretty messy. I prefer to carry good tyre levers, patches and pump, but I'm pretty quick at patching after 30+ years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mate at work has just been recommending gel inner tubes. What's the verdict here on those please?
Yes that's the slime ones I referenced. They are obviously heavier, the slime can leak and make the valve stick and they make a mess if punctured

Just get better tyres. The ones that come on new bikes are often poor

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On my commute the roads have been really shocking . had to buy some tyre liners yesterday , 14 punctures this year even with being careful and checking tyres / decent tyres etc .

mjr

On my commute the roads have been really shocking . had to buy some tyre liners yesterday , 14 punctures this year even with being careful and checking tyres / decent tyres etc .
You need to throw the vodka bottles *behind* you when empty!

Seriously, that's one heck of a bad run. Have the tyres worn out? Are local roadsweepers on strike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You need to throw the vodka bottles *behind* you when empty!

Seriously, that's one heck of a bad run. Have the tyres worn out? Are local roadsweepers on strike?
cycle path i have to use to avoid the roundabout of death is covered in all sorts of muck, glass, bits off lorries in places , tyres are in good nick with kevlar belt .Complained to the council and they did guess what ?

mjr

cycle path i have to use to avoid the roundabout of death is covered in all sorts of muck, glass, bits off lorries in places , tyres are in good nick with kevlar belt .Complained to the council and they did guess what ?
Say it's the responsibility of Highways England? That's what county keeps doing with the A10/A47 junction, then HEe-hee say it's county's responsibility... :rolleyes: Fortunately the borough just cleans it.

Top Bottom