Putting the fear of god into you,regarding clogged arteries

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Accy cyclist, 27 Feb 2018.

1. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

5 stents in my chest too, and now arteries blocking up in both legs, femoral, iliac, you name it, it's narrowed. I'm not afraid, I'm just pi$$ed off.

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

You could potentially. As could anyone but it’s about minimising risk. Smoking, drinking, stress, weight, cholesterol, diabetes etc.
    Unfortunately, if you have a strong family history of CV disease or genetic predisposition, it’s rather harder

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-magazine/medical/blocked-arteries/reduce-your-risk-factors

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/atherosclerosis/

Being alive is actually pretty heavily linked to potential death

Last edited: 27 Feb 2018
    C R, dave r, FishFright and 1 other person like this.
  3. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

I don't know why a lot of the medical profession is taking so long to catch up with its own research!

Funnily enough, I just mentioned this subject in another thread. Do a search for the health benefits of vitamins K2, and D3 on cardiovascular health. E.g. paper #1, paper #2, paper #3.

And I strongly that you read Vitamin K2 and The Calcium Paradox. It is currently only £1.24 for Kindle/Kindle apps.

Summary: Vitamins D3 and K2 (and to a lesser extent, some others) are essential for bone and cardiovascular health, and most people in the western world these days are deficient in one or both.

PS Damn - I just spotted in one of those papers that warfarin use for over 4 years is associated with a 220% increased risk of prostate cancer. I have been on it for 5 years now! :eek:

PPS But now I found other papers saying that warfarin REDUCES cancer risk! :wacko: I feel another afternoon of scanning medical research papers coming on ...

Last edited: 27 Feb 2018
    classic33, Accy cyclist and dave r like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

I can't recall any member of my immediate family having heart problems,though my mum's cousin died from a heart attack after having 2 previous ones. He was a heavy person and a heavy smoker though. Cancer seems to be the main killer in my immediate family.

5. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

H
    He waffled on that much that i didn't even hear him menton a book. I wonder who'd buy it. Hypochondriacs maybe.

dave r likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

I had a cholesterol test the other month. It was low,something like 3.6 if i remember rightly. According to the video i'm on about,low cholesterol doesn't mean you're safe from blocked arteries though.

7. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

There are about half a dozen different cholesterol measures

dave r likes this.
  8. Slick

Slick Veteran

I'm no expert (obviously) but even I know it's much more complicated than that for so many people.

classic33 likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Last test done got the response that my "blood was too thick".

It's also the only one I've had done.

Tin Pot and Slick like this.
  10. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Oh come on! Please stop encouraging the diet fanatics, the supplementers, compulsive takers of vinegar, honey, honegar, cayenne, ginger, turmeric, chilli and pretty much every other spice powder, fish oil, krill oil, red krill oil, garlic extract and tons else, the advocates of pretty much every exercise and combinations of them, Atkinsists, eco-Atkinsists, neo-Atkinsists, crypto-Atkinsists...

11. classic33

He's not done that, you have.

Slick likes this.
  12. Slick

Slick Veteran

Nothing to do with duet fanatics, or any other type of fanatic. I'm not going old ground but anyone with even the most tenuous grasp on the subject would understand the post I was referring to was overly simplistic for thousands of people.

Inertia and classic33 like this.
  13. Slick

Slick Veteran

Seems to happen quite a lot on here.

classic33 likes this.
  14. classic33

What's singing in pairs got to do with it?

Tin Pot and Slick like this.
  15. Slick

Slick Veteran

:laugh: No wonder nobody gets me. :laugh:

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice