Question about aluminium frame challenge to carbon fibre frames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is exactly what I think!

I am getting my old 853 steel-framed MTB back on off the road. That has survived some major hits over the years with just a few scratches to the paintwork.

I'd be a bit wary having one, mainly damage - got a massive impact on the chain stays from a rock that flicked up then was catapulted down into the chainstay junction with the frame. Got wedged. Nothing more than big chunks of paint off, could have been catastrophic on a carbon bike - certainly a strike where their is no protection.

Would I have a carbon MTB - absolutely no chance given some of the massive rock strikes my alloy MTB has had.

You make a good point - not all materials are the same! You can't change frame geometry or tyre size to make a frame more resistant to rock strikes.
We can make bridges out of bamboo ... but it's not the best material for 1,000s of HGVs or freight trains to cross over.

Milzy

Guru
For non pros titanium should be considered. Light as carbon with all the springy qualities to iron out the rough roads. Also you can build one up without spending silly money.

I'd be a bit wary having one, mainly damage - got a massive impact on the chain stays from a rock that flicked up then was catapulted down into the chainstay junction with the frame. Got wedged. Nothing more than big chunks of paint off, could have been catastrophic on a carbon bike - certainly a strike where their is no protection.

Even if it's catastrophic on carbon it can still be fixed fairly easily.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Oh dear! Quote-

'Cannondale, for example, make some alloy frames that are at least equal to their carbon ones, and almost as light.'

Well they would say that wouldn't they. (Along with some of the bike mags.) It's called advertising, or the big sell. But you don't have to swallow and regurgitate it, uncritically!

Also, nobody here is suggesting that carbon fibre is ideal for mountain bikes. (though some manufacturers do sell such). As stated, mountain bike frames can be made strong and rigid from aluminium alloy, with minimal flexing and reduced chance of metal fatigue, though quite a few hot shots DO break them, and let the suspension take the flexing and shock loading.

Not much use to a paralysed (or dead!) rider... :whistle:

That escalated quickly !

Twilkes

Guru
Oh dear! Quote-

'Cannondale, for example, make some alloy frames that are at least equal to their carbon ones, and almost as light.'

Well they would say that wouldn't they. (Along with some of the bike mags.) It's called advertising, or the big sell. But you don't have to swallow and regurgitate it, uncritically!
How do you know what that user's experience is with Cannondale mountain bikes? You're the one who seem to be led by an article in the creation of this thread, it's a bit insulting to dismiss their opinion as being brainwashed by marketing.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

To clarify Twilkes.

What does the word almost mean? Without actual weights of the two bikes it is meaningless. If he quotes the actual weight of the two bikes 9the alloy and the carbon bikes) we can extrapolate where the two bikes stand in relation to each other. Starting from the accepted fact that weight for weight carbon fibre composite is stronger than aluminium alloy, and strength for strength, aluminium alloy is heavier than carbon fibre composite, we would see at which end of the strength/weight ratio the alloy bike stood in relation to the carbon one. (i.e. Where the compromise lay.)

The closer to each other the two weights are, the less robust the alloy would be in comparison to the carbon one. The wider the weight gap between the two there will be less difference in robust strength, but the carbon bike should be the better performing bike, especially uphill. (Assuming most else being of equal worth.)

So if anyone can produce the real world weights of the two bikes conclusions may be drawn. All else is just anecdotal presentation.

Twilkes

Guru
To clarify Twilkes.

What does the word almost mean? Without actual weights of the two bikes it is meaningless. If he quotes the actual weight of the two bikes 9the alloy and the carbon bikes) we can extrapolate where the two bikes stand in relation to each other. Starting from the accepted fact that weight for weight carbon fibre composite is stronger than aluminium alloy, and strength for strength, aluminium alloy is heavier than carbon fibre composite, we would see at which end of the strength/weight ratio the alloy bike stood in relation to the carbon one. (i.e. Where the compromise lay.)

The closer to each other the two weights are, the less robust the alloy would be in comparison to the carbon one. The wider the weight gap between the two there will be less difference in robust strength, but the carbon bike should be the better performing bike, especially uphill. (Assuming most else being of equal worth.)

So if anyone can produce the real world weights of the two bikes conclusions may be drawn. All else is just anecdotal presentation.

But unless either type of bike is noticeably failing/breaking in use across a large range of riders in comparison with the other type, then they're both strong enough. As far as I know mountain bikes aren't know for readily breaking, whatever material they're made from, especially on usual trails without massive jumps etc.

It's like saying that one car is better than another because its top speed is 200mph instead of 180mph, when neither of them will ever go faster than 100mph on UK roads.

Still doesn't excuse your patronising previous reply though.

OP
OP
R

Rain drops

Well I apologise, I didn't mean to offend.

A friend of mine has a hot shot mountain biking son who has broken two frames from wild jumping. The second one really taught him a lesson. He attempted to clear a wide downhill gap but misjudged the height and rammed smack into the front of a ridge. Painful for both son and bike frame. (Don't believe it when firms suggest their bikes are nuke proof!!)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What was the name of the guy who kept posting on here a while ago about how great old time riders were in relation to modern times and if you factored in the advances in modern bikes the old timers would be faster. Robert Brown or something like that. He got quite 'excited' about it.... :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
What was the name of the guy who kept posting on here a while ago about how great old time riders were in relation to modern times and if you factored in the advances in modern bikes the old timers would be faster. Robert Brown or something like that. He got quite 'excited' about it.... :rolleyes:
Was it
@anthony.j.brown

Top Bottom