Question about riding in snow esp. for those with the proper tyres

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by KneesUp, 1 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Truly, on studded tyres you won't fall off when turning, but the feeling is quite scaring non the less, well, to a wuss like me it is :laugh:

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

On ice, changing or attempting to your speed or direction is not advised. You'll be off in most cases.

Illaveago likes this.
  3. classic33

Never used studded tyres, having stuck with knobblies for snow and ice.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  4. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Aye, but don't you ride a recumbent trike?

classic33 likes this.
  5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Not with studs. Being unable to change speed or direction on ice would have been rather limiting this week!

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I'm just on normal road 28c marathons. I am very much at he beginning of the learning curve with this but getting the right technique is all important, when you're getting your weight between front and back right it's amazing what you can plough through, also coming off becomes very controlable and you don't always need to end up on your aris. - but with many many many different types of snow and ice its a big learning curve.

Pat "5mph", raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  7. classic33

Four wheels, aye, but also a road bike and mountain bikes.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  8. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

So did I. There was a long stretch where there wasn't a choice though. Ended up pushing a few times.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  9. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

I went out and had a play on my Carrera the other day, it's got 26,x 1.95 Panaracer and found them fine on soft snow , but the front would snatch / dig in like riding on sand when I hit hard snow.
    I was wondering if narrower front tyres would be better ? I didn't get the chance to try my theory out as the snow has gone. I was thinking that rally cars fit narrow tyres in deep snow conditions .

raleighnut likes this.
  10. They do yes, but invariably heavily studded too, if ice expected

It's the same in 4x4 land, all these fancy wide tyres may look good, but float/slide about on top (unless they're a true floatation tyre)

Many years ago, Land Rover themselves, found this out. during the Darien Gap expedition (using the then, fairly new, Range Rover)
    They'd been advised to fit wide tyres, to cope with the conditions, but found that diffs were exploding due to the extra mechanical stress
    Cue, a return to narrower tyres (7.50 Firestone SAT, if memory serves), & no diff-problems

From about 1.10

Still a damned good tyre, but a crossply (was produced as a remould, on a radial casing)

Illaveago likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice