Question about riding in snow esp. for those with the proper tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
But there's a fence/wall/car/house/... ahead! Turning is rather useful when cycling.
On ice, changing or attempting to your speed or direction is not advised. You'll be off in most cases.

I went out and had a play on my Carrera the other day, it's got 26,x 1.95 Panaracer and found them fine on soft snow , but the front would snatch / dig in like riding on sand when I hit hard snow.
I was wondering if narrower front tyres would be better ? I didn't get the chance to try my theory out as the snow has gone. I was thinking that rally cars fit narrow tyres in deep snow conditions .

I was wondering if narrower front tyres would be better ? I didn't get the chance to try my theory out as the snow has gone. I was thinking that rally cars fit narrow tyres in deep snow conditions .
They do yes, but invariably heavily studded too, if ice expected

It's the same in 4x4 land, all these fancy wide tyres may look good, but float/slide about on top (unless they're a true floatation tyre)

Many years ago, Land Rover themselves, found this out. during the Darien Gap expedition (using the then, fairly new, Range Rover)
They'd been advised to fit wide tyres, to cope with the conditions, but found that diffs were exploding due to the extra mechanical stress
Cue, a return to narrower tyres (7.50 Firestone SAT, if memory serves), & no diff-problems

From about 1.10

Still a damned good tyre, but a crossply (was produced as a remould, on a radial casing)

Top Bottom