Question about riding in snow esp. for those with the proper tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've cycled to and from work today - there is about 8 inches of snow on the shed roof at home, but out and about there is less and on the roads it's been compacted. It's generally been quite fun, althoguh I need thicker gloves.

I've been on 2" knobblies and it's been fine - I've not fallen off or anything, so all's good.

However, it feels to me as though although traction is ace going in a straight line - better than walking boots if my 'test' on the steep footpath near home is valid - the steering feels madly skittish, like whenever I steer it's trying to slide away from me, and indeed in the bits of snow on the road where it's starting to break into compacted chunks where some cars have been, the wheel will dig in like on sand and try and pull you one way or the other, all of which combined makes it feel all the time like I have too much weight on the 'bars - which maybe I have: I've not ridden this frame very much; I've only just swapped the running gear off my other bike on to it, and it's a little shorter in the top tube and head tube than the old one, so I lean foward a touch more.

Is my experience of riding on snow using knobblies designed for mud typical, and if so, do proper ice / snow tyres make much difference? As I say, straight line grip is fine, it's just when the tyre digs in to the compacted stuff that's breaking up, and when going around corners.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I use Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres on my MTB.. 26" x 1.75" with the metal spikes. They are good, but they don't perform miracles. They are fine on fresh snow or ice, but how often does that happen? Once you hit frozen ruts left by vehicle (or even bicycle!) tyres, you will still struggle to control the bike. You might remain upright for longer than you would if riding on non winter tyres, but it's still fraught with danger!
I find I need to keep the speed low, and if climbing a hill you need to remain seated to keep the weight on the rear wheel otherwise you just spin the wheel when pedaling. Are they worth it for the few occasions when they get used? For me, yes. If I didn't have them the last few days, I would have been walking to work; and the same applies for the few other icy/snowy spells we've had this winter.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have Kenda Klondikes which one YouTube review rated better than the Schwalbe ones. Genuinely I went for them because they have 4 rows of spikes and were cheap at the time. I drop my psi when it is horrible. They are immeasurably slow on dry roads. Noisy and they send micro vibrations through the bike which results in a fizzy bum. Still I prefer them to normal tyres in this weather. In all honesty I have used them so infrequently I couldn’t really offer any ‘expert’ advice. Practice through use.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have been using this URL="https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-m-trax-2000-ti.229531/"]Raleigh m trax 2000 ti[/URL][ for the last few weeks , it sits on Maxxis knobblies and it has been fine the last few days on the soft snow , but when i came home yesterday night and a lot of it had turned to ice which made for tricky going .

So i am thinking of buying some studded tyres in preperation for next year as hopefully this will all go soon and we can start on spring

I don’t like riding on snow or ice, but when I have had to, I’ve gone for studded knoblies, and they have worked very well, okay you have to make allowances, but it’s no worse than slicks on wet surfaces. There’s no ‘wrong conditions’ just the wrong kit. Given I’m in the South of England, I’d rather not risk riding on snow / ice, as it’s not normally more than a couple of days, so really no big deal.

jayonabike