Questions for you all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
1 - How many of you actually believe that camel backs are truly a good investment ?
Don't use one for cycling (have my bottles on the frame) - however I do use platypuses (same difference) when hillwalking, for which they are immensely useful.
2 - does spending x amount on a brand model make you feel any better
No
3 - Do you always take spare tubes and a repair kit at all times
Yes on road/TT bike, no on the Brompton
4 - What do you regard as very good value for money when it comes to bike lights
Don't know
5 - Do you listen to you ipad when cycling on roads / cycle tracks
No
6 - do you make a habit of sprinting whilst out on the bike even though there is no point .. because you all the time in the world to get where your going
Ah, but there is a different point to working hard when out on the bike - you get fitter and faster :biggrin: .
7 - Cycling tops do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective
No, a cycling top has useful pockets in it.
8 - how many of you are members of cycling clubs
not a cycling club, but I am a member of a triathlon club
9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting videos of their cycle to work
No, I think it is useful and interesting
10 - How many times have you been out for a cycle and a fellow cyclist has offerd you a drink ..
Don't know - but it is usually my boyfriend's drink I am pinching
11 - Have you ever run out of water / juice and knocked on a door whilst out in the countryside and asked for water ..
No
12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think their in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track
I do think that some cyclists take some of our local cycle tracks too fast for the conditions.
13 - do you honestly believe that wearing all the gear makes you feel the part or any better or because you have feel you need to fit in with your fellow cyclists when out for a group ride ... and would they shun you if you appeared wearing jeans and a tshirt
I wear kit that is appropriate for the sort of cycling that I'm doing - when I'm on my way to work on the Brompton I wear office clothes, but I wouldn't wear that when I am heading out for a 2 hour training ride!

lulubel

Über Member
1 - How many of you actually believe that camel backs are truly a good investment ?

For walking, yes. When I'm cycling, my bike carries the water.

If x amount represents a considerable discount from retail price.

Spare tubes, no repair kit.

4 - What do you regard as very good value for money when it comes to bike lights

Don't have any.

No, don't have one - don't have an ipod either :biggrin:

6 - do you make a habit of sprinting whilst out on the bike even though there is no point .. because you all the time in the world to get where your going

If I've deliberately gone out for a fast ride, yes, but otherwise, no. I'm rarely "going anywhere".

7 - Cycling top's do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective

You mean non-technical clothing? Of course it isn't as effective.

Not me.

9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting video's of there cycle to work

Why would I care?

10 - How many times have you been out for a cycle and a fellow cyclist has offerd you a drink ..

Never, and I've never needed one.

11 - Have you ever run out of water / juice and knocked on a door whilst out in the countryside and asked for water ..

No.

12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think there in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track

I only ride on roads, but occasionally have to remind myself I'm not in the TDF when I've nearly lost it on a bend and paid a visit to someone's garden :biggrin:

13 - do you honestly believe that wearing all the gear makes you feel the part or any better or because you have feel you need to fit in with your fellow cyclists when out for a group ride ... and would they shun you if you appeared wearing jeans and a tshirt

I don't do groups, and I'm not bothered about feeling "the part". I am bothered about being comfortable and as cool as possible. Apart from padded shorts and helmet, I usually cycle in running gear because you can get decent gear for a lower price.

Bicycle

Yes. But I'm the only one in my family who does... I love them.

No... But then feel free to ask me why all my gear is Campag, Santini etc... I am a hypocrite on this.

I pretend that I do, but really I just take a mobile to call spouse for help...

Cateye LED stuff. Anything around a tenner.

Ipod, yes. I am naughty. Not in town, just on rural roads and off-road.

Absolutely. No idea why. I also push hard on hills for ne possible benefit. Childish but fun.

7 - Cycling top's do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective

Yes I believe they are largely a waste of money, but I always wear them if going more than 15-20 miles. Hypocrite... again.

Not me.

9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting video's of there cycle to work

Not my pleasure, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Never.

No. I always have lots and if in need I buy Vittel at a petrol station.

12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think there in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track

Yes. But it's all fun.

I wear lots of gear but I usually feel a bit of a wally in it as I'm middle-aged and short for my weight these days. Clearly some cyclists look down on others for their lack of speed, posh gear or similar... but I think it's rare.

However, if riding at any speed for over 15 miles, good shorts and a nice cycling top with rear pockets can make things a lot easier...

I hope this helps...:biggrin:

lesley_x

Über Member
I have never used one, so can't really comment.

It doesn't make me feel better? It make my ride more comfortable and exciting.

No

Ermmm, best performance at best price?!

Would be a bit silly to take an ipad. I used to listen to music, but now I don't and find I enjoy my cycling more.

I'm out to exercise and get fitter and stronger. Pootling along isn't going to help me achieve that goal.

No. They are comfortable, don't flap in the wind, and have strategically placed pockets.

I'm not a member of a cycling club.

No. It's been very useful for me to watch other people make mistakes so I can avoid them myself! It's good to watch other peoples cycling in traffic and learn from it.

Errr. Never?

No I always carry enough.

If you're cycling on your own you're generally competing against yourself, wanting to do it quicker and in shorter time. What's the use in pootling along not getting any fitter if that is your goal?

I wear cycling gear on my own, I don't go on group rides. So I'm not sure who I would be looking for approval from? It's just incredibly comfy.

abo

1 - Dunno
2 - No
3 - No
4 - Haven't ridden in the dark yet
5 - an iPad??? You gonna strap it to your back??? No, I don't use headphones while cycling
6 - No
7 - I'd wear a cycling top or a running top if it weren't for the beer belly. I wouldn't want to inflict that sight on the public.
8 - I dunno. I'm not a member
9 - I wonder why *some* videos are posted, some posters seem to make a bit of a meal of things. But I can understand why they want to name and shame people
10 - never
11 - no
12 - no, the TDF wanabees here ride on the road
13 - Don't own any so wouldn't know. I ride alone FTW

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
There's only one of me. I have a camelbak. Its great.​

Depends on the size of the x.​
No. But if I'm on a bike I'd say about 95% of the time I do.​
A suitable product at a suitable price. For me, dynamo lamps.​
I'd be amazed if anyone did.​
I hadn't realised I had all the time in the world. Thanks for this. Wow. Eternity is going to mess up my scheduling no end.​
No, but there is a law of diminishing returns above about £20.​
(Checks... ) No, still only one of me. Sorry. Erm, 100% then?​
No. (Resists temptation to reference use of grocer's comma).​
Countless. Mind you, all my cycling friends have alcohol dependency issues.​
No. I have used taps behind churches though.​
Some cyclists *are* in the TDF.​
I dress for comfort. That means cycling gear most of the time. I try to keep it toned down if off the bike.​

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A - Depends on the type of riding you do, i have two camel backs and i think they are great for off roading, but on the road i see little point.

A - I do prefer to go with brand models, you generally know the product is going to be better, but some brads are overpriced and similar if not the same quality products can be bought for less

A - I only take spare inner tubes when i go out on the bike. I don't care bicycle spares when i'm walking around the supermarket though.

A - Something that does what it is meant to, just like any other product.

A - That would be quite a sizeable thing to carry, i can understand iPods, but iPads? No i don't listen to music when i cycle..

A - There is a point to sprinting, so i would't say there is no point.

A - Cycling tops are not a waste of money, a nice cotton t-shirt is going to be soaked from sweat quite quickly, how ever a good cycling top is designed to wick the moisture away from your skin.

A - I'm personally not but i can't comment for everyone.

A - I think it is absolutely stupid. why bother waiting your time doing that?
rolleyes.gif

A - Never, i always have a drink to hand.

A - No

A - No

A - if you turn up for a club ride in jeans then you are going to get some funny looks, how ever cycling in jeans is just fine, as long as you are comfortable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't be bothered to answer all of them, but I'll do this one ...

I got very seriously dehydrated on one of my first adult rides. It was a blazingly hot day and I had gone out exploring and had not taken enough water with me but eventually I found a country pub and went inside to get a drink.

About 20 people were sat around drinking beer. I went to the bar and asked for a drink but the landlord said that the pub was shut. I begged for water, but no, the pub was shut. When I offered him a pound for a pint of water, he came round the bar, shoved me outside and bolted the door!

I remounted my bike and discovered that I had a 1-in-6 hill to climb just round the corner. I somehow got to the top of that and was close to collapse when I spotted a large muddy puddle at the side of the road. I jumped off my bike and stuck my face in the water and gulped down pints of it. Seriously - I drank a filthy puddle! I was desperate. :eek:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I can't be bothered to answer all of them, but I'll do this one ...

I got very seriously dehydrated on one of my first adult rides. It was a blazingly hot day and I had gone out exploring and had not taken enough water with me but eventually I found a country pub and went inside to get a drink.

About 20 people were sat around drinking beer. I went to the bar and asked for a drink but the landlord said that the pub was shut. I begged for water, but no, the pub was shut. When I offered him a pound for a pint of water, he came round the bar, shoved me outside and bolted the door!

I remounted my bike and discovered that I had a 1-in-6 hill to climb just round the corner. I somehow got to the top of that and was close to collapse when I spotted a large muddy puddle at the side of the road. I jumped off my bike and stuck my face in the water and gulped down pints of it. Seriously - I drank a filthy puddle! I was desperate. :eek:

I have come VERY close to breaking into an outdoor ed. centre to get water. I was fully prepared to leave all my details and explain the situation. Was just about to break window when I noticed a standpipe outside.

MrCarver

Long Distance where you need more water, yes

If it looks nice, yes :biggrin:

Yes

Magicshines, that is all.

I listen to my ipod sometimes

Yes, I get to see how much I am improving

You can get cycling tops which are cheaper than t-shirts, and have nice pockets in the back.

Not me

As long as they dont force me to watch them, no.

Once, but with friends we always share drinks if one of us is out.

Yes, on a few occasions. Well, it's usally if the owners are in their gardens I do it.

Nope

I wear whats comfortable, jeans aren't comfortable, tracksuit bottoms are too baggy, so I wear lycra and maybe some sports shorts whilst on the bike.

asterix

Comrade Member
1 - How many of you actually believe that camel backs are truly a good investment ? Not I.

2 - does spending x amount on a brand model make you feel any better Yes and No. I wear Lidl shoes, what does that tell you?

3 - Do you always take spare tubes and a repair kit at all times No. I don't do anything 'at all times' except not #5.

4 - What do you regard as very good value for money when it comes to bike lights Schmidt dynohub and IQ Cyo, need you ask?

5 - Do you listen to you ipad when cycling on roads / cycle tracks No, nor at any other time

6 - do you make a habit of sprinting whilst out on the bike even though there is no point .. because you all the time in the world to get where your going I never have all the time in the world. Don't you realise you are gonna die?

7 - Cycling top's do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective No. T shirts have no pockets at the back. Idiot.

8 - how many of you are members of cycling clubs? None of me.

9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting video's of there cycle to work? No because I don't view them.

10 - How many times have you been out for a cycle and a fellow cyclist has offerd you a drink .. Once. It was in 2006.

11 - Have you ever run out of water / juice and knocked on a door whilst out in the countryside and asked for water .. Yes. They had no idea what 'water' was. It was in rural France.

12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think there in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track . No. I am faster than other cyclists, anyway.

13 - do you honestly believe that wearing all the gear makes you feel the part or any better or because you have feel you need to fit in with your fellow cyclists when out for a group ride ... and would they shun you if you appeared wearing jeans and a tshirt. Honestly, I don't have any beliefs at all. Recently I completed a sportive riding the only bike with mudguards and didn't give a toss.

Smokysmoo, why the answer to number 8, could we be misleading people who are thinking about joining a club. I have been a member of Lincoln Wheelers for 23 years and have never been out for a whole day with them. In fact most events rides are seldom more than a couple of hours or 3 at most.

That wasn't my intention at all, and in some ways I liked the idea of joining one, but trying to get reliable information out of my local ones is not easy! Emails go unanswered, no-one seems to want to know you or try to help, and when I have discovered someone who's husband, brother, sister, uncle etc is a member of a club, they all seem to unite in agreement that they go out first thing in a morning and don't re-appear until many hours later. Perhaps they aren't cycling all that time, who knows as they won't answer my emails!

My riding buddy was invited along to a club ride by a guy after he did a job on his car for him, but after further discussion it turned out that they do indeed meet early and would then be out for around 6 hours, so with his young family in his mind he graciously declined the offer and that was that.

I'm glad you have a great club and that it works for you, but it just doesn't seem that easy in my small part of the world. I would love to be corrected, and I'd especially love the clubs I tried to contact to sort out their admin/customer follow up procedures for the benefit of other inquisitive cyclists, so they don't get put off the idea like I have been. As for me, my thoughts of joining a club are finished with. I'll stick to either my own company or me and my mate, if it 'aint broke don't fix it :thumbsup:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
1 - How many of you actually believe that camel backs are truly a good investment? No

2 - does spending x amount on a brand model make you feel any better? No

3 - Do you always take spare tubes and a repair kit at all times? Yes

4 - What do you regard as very good value for money when it comes to bike lights? Quality bright lights at a decent price

5 - Do you listen to you ipad when cycling on roads/cycle tracks? iPad's are a little large to carry whilst you're riding don't you think? No I don't listen to anything but the traffic whilst riding!

6 - do you make a habit of sprinting whilst out on the bike even though there is no point .. because you all the time in the world to get where your going? No

7 - Cycling top's do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective? Cycling tops do a good job of wicking sweat away from your body while riding, cotton dos not!

8 - how many of you are members of cycling clubs? I'm not (yet!)

9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting video's of there cycle to work? No

10 - How many times have you been out for a cycle and a fellow cyclist has offerd you a drink? Never

11 - Have you ever run out of water/juice and knocked on a door whilst out in the countryside and asked for water? Nope

12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think there in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track? Yes, Muppets :wacko:

13 - do you honestly believe that wearing all the gear makes you feel the part or any better or because you have feel you need to fit in with your fellow cyclists when out for a group ride ... and would they shun you if you appeared wearing jeans and a tshirt? No, 'the gear' (as you put it,) does a job IMHO, that is why I wear it - I don't wear kit that makes me look like Cavendish of Contador... I don't shave my legs either! :wub:

1 - How many of you actually believe that camel backs are truly a good investment ? I have a Camelbak Fanny pack (Flashflo) and would not ride without it. Sits on your lower back so you dont get a sweaty uncomfortable on your back or straps on your shoulder/chest, and can put my c/c, keys etc in it.

2 - does spending x amount on a brand model make you feel any better Yes it give me peace of mind that is reliable and good network for parts and servicing.

3 - Do you always take spare tubes and a repair kit at all times I only take a tube and o2 cartridge with me, in a pouch under the seat

4 - What do you regard as very good value for money when it comes to bike lights One that does the job for my needs, at middle range price.

5 - Do you listen to you ipad when cycling on roads / cycle tracks No, I would get carried away too much! :tongue:

6 - do you make a habit of sprinting whilst out on the bike even though there is no point .. because you all the time in the world to get where your going The only time I sprint is downhill or at the traffic lights!! :tongue:

7 - Cycling top's do you believe they are a waste of money and a simple tshirt is just as effective I only wear 'proper' cycling tops as the material helps absorbing the 'perspiration' and for practicality having a zip at the front if it gets hot , and pockets at the back (which t shirts dont have). However I would not spend more than £30 on one even if it had sparkly butterflies on it!

8 - how many of you are members of cycling clubs I found that there is a lot of politics around cycling club especially racing ones :rolleyes:

9 - do you believe it's cringworthy of other cyclists posting video's of there cycle to work I cant see the point??

10 - How many times have you been out for a cycle and a fellow cyclist has offerd you a drink ..Once

11 - Have you ever run out of water / juice and knocked on a door whilst out in the countryside and asked for water ..Yes I stopped at one of those Little Chef, was looked up in disgust and returned with a half filled bottle!! :angry:

12 - whilst out have you ever noticed how some cyclists seem to think there in the TDF whilst hammering it along a cycle track Yes

13 - do you honestly believe that wearing all the gear makes you feel the part or any better or because you have feel you need to fit in with your fellow cyclists when out for a group ride ... and would they shun you if you appeared wearing jeans and a tshirt By wearing the appropriate gear it give me more confidence, and make me comfortable having the right tools. I think that 'dressing the part' prepares you ahead and put you in the right state of mind. :thumbsup:

on the road

Über Member
I don't have them, prefer bottles instead

Both

They're better than a T-shirt

I am

Never

No

Top Bottom