Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There are some which are made of plastic. They don't actually last quite as long, but are cheaper so end up costing less.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302595121
Thanks for that. I use yellow and red ones, as it seems they use colours to gauge the sizes. Last week my dentist asked which colour I use. I'll try the orange ones you've linked and see if they fit in the gaps.:okay:

If my spaceship can accelerate at a constant 1G up to a maximum speed of not-quite-lightspeed, and can flip 180 and then deccelerate at 1G, how long will it take to reach the nearest star?

Alex321

Veteran
If my spaceship can accelerate at a constant 1G up to a maximum speed of not-quite-lightspeed, and can flip 180 and then deccelerate at 1G, how long will it take to reach the nearest star?
About 5.5 years.

The nearest star is 4.5 light years away. Accelerating at 1G takes almost a year to reach light speed, and will have covered about 0.5 light years while doing so.

So 2 years acceleration/deceleration, covering 1 light year, and 3.5 years of coasting in between.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
About 5.5 years.

The nearest star is 4.5 light years away. Accelerating at 1G takes almost a year to reach light speed, and will have covered about 0.5 light years while doing so.

So 2 years acceleration/deceleration, covering 1 light year, and 3.5 years of coasting in between.
The nearest star is the Sun, and you've ignored the 180 turn.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why are car boot capacities measured in litres and not cubic feet and inches? After all, litres are liquid and as far as I know you don't put liquid in a boot unless it's in a container. My guess is that litres/liquid gets everywhere, so it covers the whole space in the boot, whereas feet and inches are 'square' and won't measure the curvy bits in the boot.🤔

Alex321

Veteran
Why are car boot capacities measured in litres and not cubic feet and inches? After all, litres are liquid and as far as I know you don't put liquid in a boot unless it's in a container. My guess is that litres/liquid gets everywhere, so it covers the whole space in the boot, whereas feet and inches are 'square' and won't measure the curvy bits in the boot.🤔
Litres are no more liquid than cubic feet are.

Both are just measures of volume.

Top Bottom