Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Electric car batteries are several hundred volts (up to 800). What do you mean 'fire them up', they don't have any need for starter motors. The power supply for ancillaries like radios can run off the main battery, there's no need for a separate one.
My EV certainly has a normal 12v battery. I think it's there for the safety systems - otherwise if you did run your main battery flat - your lights and electric doors would stop working too.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My EV certainly has a normal 12v battery. I think it's there for the safety systems - otherwise if you did run your main battery flat - your lights and electric doors would stop working too.
Ah yes, A bit like my smoke alarm (runs off the mains but has a 9v backup battery in case of a power cut)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You used to be able to get them (occasionally) in Bury market ... but really the answer as to why they're not readily available to buy is the same as why any other domesticated, semi or quasi domesticated or artificially-reared eggs - other than hen, duck and - to some extent - quail - aren't, either. T'other birds don't, can't or haven't yet been, sufficiently 'changed' by selective breeding so as to lay eggs of a practically-useful size, day in, day out, year round and never give up ...
And if you fried an ostrich egg it'd be hard to give everyone a fair share of both yolk and white esp if they liked a runny yolk. You'd have to scramble it!
At one time ostrich farming was sold as a surefire money making scheme but pretty soon lost popularity as it was easier to sell the idea and some young ostriches than actually farming them commercially.
The same thing happened with mushrooms and that idea was also widely touted as an easy money spinner. I did have the premises doing nothing and had a go at mushrooms for a while but I moved jobs and house to a location where I had no premises so gave that idea up.

At one time ostrich farming was sold as a surefire money making scheme but pretty soon lost popularity as it was easier to sell the idea and some young ostriches than actually farming them commercially.
The same thing happened with mushrooms and that idea was also widely touted as an easy money spinner. I did have the premises doing nothing and had a go at mushrooms for a while but I moved jobs and house to a location where I had no premises so gave that idea up.
Ostriches aren't the easiest or most docile birds in the world to handle, either ...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've found a jar of green olives in my cupboard I bought a while ago, intending to have a dry martini. I haven't had one before, though when working in a hotel's restaurant many years ago (mid 1980's) an Italian waiter there (Guido was his name) used to have many a night. Not only that, but he'd knock back handfuls of olives out of the big jar on the bar. Have any of you tried a dry martini and if so how would you rate dry martinis?🤔

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've found a jar of green olives in my cupboard I bought a while ago, intending to have a dry martini. I haven't had one before, though when working in a hotel's restaurant many years ago (mid 1980's) an Italian waiter there (Guido was his name) used to have many a night. Not only that, but he'd knock back handfuls of olives out of the big jar on the bar. Have any of you tried a dry martini and if so how would you rate dry martinis?🤔
I used to drink Martini straight; mostly the red one (Rossi?) but often the extra dry. I don't mind them but they're not my favourite. A friend of mine drinks dirty Martinis, which I believe is with olives and the "dirty" part is the juice from the jar?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A dry martini only contains the odd drop of "martini" - well strictly speaking its vermouth.

Indeed a "dirty" has olive jar "juice" in it as well as smidge of vermouth and obvs the gin

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A dry martini only contains the odd drop of "martini" - well strictly speaking its vermouth.

Indeed a "dirty" has olive jar "juice" in it as well as smidge of vermouth and obvs the gin
That's about right. One part vermouth to four parts of gin. If mixed correctly, the olive becomes a minor consideration fairly quickly.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's about right. One part vermouth to four parts of gin. If mixed correctly, the olive becomes a minor consideration fairly quickly.
The best martini is to just rinse the glass with vermouth and throw it away, add gin, an olive and a twist of lemon peel.:okay:

Top Bottom