Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Could you survive parachuting through a thunderstorm?

I would imagine WWII archives may be able to answer that. There must of been an occasion where this was done.

Chislenko

Veteran
To be fair if you're an elite athlete you are balancing on a knife edge. Look at Radcliffe - she was doing a huge mileage and spending almost as much time on her physios table to keep her running.

You want to do as much training as you can cope with without breaking yourself.

Mate, you missed the one important word in the post "British"

It seems like every time there is a major championships going on Steve Cram or his sidekick introduces every British athlete with reference to "their recent injury" or " horrible year" they have just had.

I feel sure athletes from Serbia, Poland, Denmark etc have been through the same shoot but it seems to me the BBC are "getting in first" should they not win.

And with regards to Paula Radcliffe, I feel sure if I took a dump in a street drain I would probably be arrested 😀😀

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What gives?
Trouser fasteners, if you've eaten too much.

classic33

Leg End Member
Could you survive parachuting through a thunderstorm?
"In a thundercloud, your chances of being hit by lightning are higher than on the ground because your wet body presents a more conductive path than the air around you. Nearby lightning bolts will jump to you, then continue to the ground."
As long as it opens :laugh:
"In 1959 a US Marine pilot called William Rankin ejected from an F-8 Crusader fighter jet directly into a storm. It took him 40 minutes to reach the ground and he suffered frostbite and severe decompression injuries."

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hu...vive-a-parachute-jump-through-a-thundercloud/

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Walking past some high railings in very bright, very annoying, low, almost blinding sunshine yesterday, I had that horrible flashing affect as I moved from sunshine to shade per split second. I covered the affected side of my face with my hand to stop the flashing. It made me think about what I heard years ago that this could bring on an epileptic fit, if you are epileptic (obviously). Is that true, or just an old wives tale? 🤔

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Walking past some high railings in very bright, very annoying, low, almost blinding sunshine yesterday, I had that horrible flashing affect as I moved from sunshine to shade per split second. I covered the affected side of my face with my hand to stop the flashing. It made me think about what I heard years ago that this could bring on an epileptic fit, if you are epileptic (obviously). Is that true, or just an old wives tale? 🤔
Only possible, in the first place, if you have photosensitive epilepsy, and even then you'd have to match the frequency of the seizure trigger frequency.

Chance of that happening is nigh on nil.

A hangover from days when triggers, in epilepsy, were not well known about.

Top Bottom