Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Another one for the molecular scientists;
Why do train rails (and other things, for that matter) get hotter than the ambient temperature?
E.g. today quoted at 62º, where ambient was c.40º.

The ambient temperature is the temperature of your surroundings. Metal (e.g. train rails) is an excellent conductor of heat compared to wood or even air. This means that where (for example) a tree might actually hold off some heat due to being a poor conductor, the metal is sucking up that energy from the sun and trying to convect it away to achieve equilibrium. The air around the rail will be very hot too as the metal rail exchanges heat energy, that air in turn will exchange energy with the cooler air around it and so on, the energy will gradually dissipating outwards contributing toward the ambient temperature. There is a lot of air to heat, and it is getting replaced if there is a breeze. The metal stays where it is.

So rails will be a lot hotter than the ambient temperature.

The ambient temperature is the temperature of your surroundings. Metal (e.g. train rails) is an excellent conductor of heat compared to wood or even air. This means that where (for example) a tree might actually hold off some heat due to being a poor conductor, the metal is sucking up that energy from the sun and trying to convect it away to achieve equilibrium. The air around the rail will be very hot too as the metal rail exchanges heat energy, that air in turn will exchange energy with the cooler air around it and so on, the energy will gradually dissipating outwards contributing toward the ambient temperature. There is a lot of air to heat, and it is getting replaced if there is a breeze. The metal stays where it is.

So rails will be a lot hotter than the ambient temperature.

And ambient is measured in the shade whereas the rails may be in full sun

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There I was this aft' driving down the one way street the shop I work in is on, when on stopping at the give way junction another car appeared on my right. I was on the left of the road indicating my intention to turn right by the way. Am I right in thinking the other vehicle (which was also turning right) should've waited behind me and not formed another lane? As far as I can remember this hasn't happened to me before, so I'm thinking the other vehicle was in the wrong.🤔

There I was this aft' driving down the one way street the shop I work in is on, when on stopping at the give way junction another car appeared on my right. I was on the left of the road indicating my intention to turn right by the way. Am I right in thinking the other vehicle (which was also turning right) should've waited behind me and not formed another lane? As far as I can remember this hasn't happened to me before, so I'm thinking the other vehicle was in the wrong.🤔

You may well be correct.

Alex321

Veteran

I think both you and the other vehicle were wrong.

If it is a one-way street and you are turning right out of it, you shouldn't be in the left side of the road, you should be on the right side.

But if you were indicating right, they shouldn't have pulled alongside you.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If it is a one-way street and you are turning right out of it, you shouldn't be in the left side of the road, you should be on the right side.
I've seen quite a few vehicles drive up that street, either ignoring or not seeing that it's one way. I tend to keep left at the junction, thinking one of the above vehicles might meet me head on.

Top Bottom