Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
With Wimbledon fortnight less than a month away I've always wondered what happens to the whole club/site after the tournament has finished? I presume all those outer tennis courts are used by the members of the club, but is the Centre Court and No 1 Court available for use/hire?🤔

Alex321

Veteran
With Wimbledon fortnight less than a month away I've always wondered what happens to the whole club/site after the tournament has finished? I presume all those outer tennis courts are used by the members of the club, but is the Centre Court and No 1 Court available for use/hire?🤔

No, the "show courts" (Centre, 1, 2, 3,12 & 18 ) are only used for the Championships. All the other grass courts (including a number which aren't used for play in the Championships) are used from May to September by club members, and they also have a number of acrylic courts which are used all year round.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

No because the Wombles use it for their parties

T4tomo

Guru
Such a waste of very good facilities maybe?🤔

they need to be reseeded etc after the championships and given time to regrow / recover the bare patches.

just as the actual wicket strip used in a test match won't normally be reused again that season, although a one day or T20 strip might well be re-used later in the season as it takes less hammer than in a 5 day game.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
they need to be reseeded etc after the championships and given time to regrow / recover the bare patches.

just as the actual wicket strip used in a test match won't normally be reused again that season, although a one day or T20 strip might well be re-used later in the season as it takes less hammer than in a 5 day game.

Fair point, but why not use the replaceable turf/grass they use to replace worn out football pitches in the Premier League and other 'top' leagues, after the event has ended? 🤔

Tenkaykev

Guru
Fair point, but why not use the replaceable turf/grass they use to replace worn out football pitches in the Premier League and other 'top' leagues, after the event has ended? 🤔

That’s not as straightforward as it would appear:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/15/silicon-valley-of-turf-uk-perfect-football-pitch

T4tomo

Guru

indeed and whilst football pitches get played on in poor weather and in winter, the intensity of use is less or should I say more evenly spread across the pitch.

With cricket and tennis the wear is intense at specific points. If you patch pieces of turf in they tend to crumble at the joins in dry weather.

In cricket you often do this (patch chunk of turf in) for bowlers foot holes at the crease ends, but you can't do this where the ball might be pitching as it would cause uneven & inconsistent bounce. It was a trick we used when me & my dad used to look after the local cricket pitch, we'd just nick a patch of turf off the outfield and bed it into the footmarks and let it recover for a few weeks before we used that strip again.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I dropped my car key/fob in the washing up bowl last night. I fished it out in a second, then wiped it with some kitchen towel. I left it overnight hoping it would still work. I've just dried it and was pleased to find out it still works. I've heard that if this happens then putting such a thing in rice will dry it out. My question is if you haven't any rice available will tinned rice pudding work?🤔

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I dropped my car key/fob in the washing up bowl last night. I fished it out in a second, then wiped it with some kitchen towel. I left it overnight hoping it would still work. I've just dried it and was pleased to find out it still works. I've heard that if this happens then putting such a thing in rice will dry it out. My question is if you haven't any rice available will tinned rice pudding work?🤔

Why don't you try it with your phone and come back and report your findings.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Serious question.

I've been getting around 40 to 45 miles on £10 of petrol in my small 1.2 engine car. On Saturday I put another tenner in when the nearly empty sign came on. Yesterday the light came on again after doing what must be 20 miles at the most since last Saturday. I Noticed yesterday a strong petrol smell coming from my car, particularly from around the fuel cap. After the light came on again yesterday I checked the fuel cap and it was loose, as in not turned enough to get that clicking noise. My thoughts are that as the cap wasn't fully sealing the hole for the fuel tank a lot of the fuel evaporated, especially in this very warm weather. Am I right?🤔

Gillstay

Ãœber Member
I would think that was too soon. It may be worth checking your pipework as modern fuels give rubber pipes a very had time.

Top Bottom