Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I would think that was too soon. It may be worth checking your pipework as modern fuels give rubber pipes a very had time.

It's going to the garage next week for a service. I'll ask the mechanic to have a look at those pipes. I put another £10 in yesterday and recorded the mileage. If i get about 40 to 45 before the empty sign comes on again I'll put the loss down to me not putting the fuel cap on fully.🤔

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's going to the garage next week for a service. I'll ask the mechanic to have a look at those pipes. I put another £10 in yesterday and recorded the mileage. If i get about 40 to 45 before the empty sign comes on again I'll put the loss down to me not putting the fuel cap on fully.🤔

Get a box of matches, genie them, and throw the box under the car, near the fuel tank.

Much easier than going to a mechanic

DRM

Guru
Serious question.

I've been getting around 40 to 45 miles on £10 of petrol in my small 1.2 engine car. On Saturday I put another tenner in when the nearly empty sign came on. Yesterday the light came on again after doing what must be 20 miles at the most since last Saturday. I Noticed yesterday a strong petrol smell coming from my car, particularly from around the fuel cap. After the light came on again yesterday I checked the fuel cap and it was loose, as in not turned enough to get that clicking noise. My thoughts are that as the cap wasn't fully sealing the hole for the fuel tank a lot of the fuel evaporated, especially in this very warm weather. Am I right?🤔

The price has increased, so your getting less fuel for your tenner? Also this E10 stuff is reported to be giving less mpg than the previous E5 grade

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The price has increased, so your getting less fuel for your tenner? Also this E10 stuff is reported to be giving less mpg than the previous E5 grade

I've made allowances for the almost daily increase in fuel prices. I rarely buy E10, only buying it if the one E5 seller near me has run out, which occasionally happens. I've even put £2.50 of E10 in (about a month or so ago) to get me to a station that sells E5, on one of my journeys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Spotted by a friend on a gravestone. She asked me what it symbolizes. I don't know, but I think it might be connected to the ambulance service. Do any of you know what it represents?🤔

1657914138818.png

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, the only references I can find relate to the ambulance services (or forces thereof), so you may indeed be correct

The fellow buried in the grave was born in 1933. He'd be too young to have served in WW2, so he must've done his early 1950's National Service with the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Gillstay

Über Member
The snake on the staff is the Aesculapian snake often seen in France as it hunts for rodents, and so is seen as a beneficial creature.
The symbol goes back to the days of having them around the temples where they practiced medicine.

Alex321

Veteran
One for the optical scientists among you.
Why do mirrors invert laterally but not vertically?

Because they aren't actually inverting.

They are reflecting things back in the same position as received. We see it as inverting because we see our right hand on what would be the left hand of the reflection if that reflection were actually somebody stood there that we were talking to.

And with things like writing, we are seeing it as if we were looking at the writing through the back of the written surface.

Top Bottom