Quick question - Who tours alone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I sometimes use an old Carradice handlebar bag which comes with a shoulder strap in which I'd keep wallet, phone, camera and anything else of value and I can just unclip it and carry it with me if I'm leaving the bile unattended.
My handlebar bag is this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...sXlf8rmIpUpQ7bScnaidVBoCEiDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds and I have just bought a new one in case the old one packs up, I love it so much. Not too big, and stays with me 100% of the time just in case. I also keep my passport in a combat style pocket (sealed in a bag) in my shorts at all times

reppans

Sorry to join this thread so late but as someone who has never been out on my own I would just spend the whole time worrying about getting my bike and stuff stolen, both day and night !!!

Yeah me too - that's what got me to quit touring decades ago. A Brompton has been able to rekindle that interest though, and open a bunch of new touring options.

Definitely means solo touring for me though. It's tough enough finding another bicycle tourer, forget about finding someone as interested in the ultra- compact/lightweight versatility.

Last edited:

DanZac

I always tour alone (because I'm a miserable old git), whilst I was initaly a bit aprehensive on the security front i soon got over it. The majority of campsites, more so in the summer, tend to be littered in things more valuable than my bike and possessions. Every b&b and hotel has either had somewhere fairly secure to leave my bike or been happy to let me take it to my room, if you pre book a disabled room at the likes of travelodge they are easily accesible.
The only issue is normaly lunch or shopping stops but i tend to avoid the major towns if i can so you can normally leave your stuff in plain view. At supermarkets i try to leave it either in view of the security guard or by the big windows so its in plain sight. I just use a cheapo wire rope type lock and run it through the back wheel, frame and pannier handles and round a handy bollard or post. I keep the valuables in a bar bag which comes with me.
Because i like a bit of comfort my set up weighs about a million tons so their not going to get a quick getaway even if someone did take a liking to it.
I think we underestimate many peoples honesty and i cant see a touring set up with panniers full of dirty washing and soaking wet tents being of much interest to the oppertunist thief.
Come on the warmer weather, i cant wait to get the tent out and get back out on the road.

Interesting thread to read. I did my first tour last year and had some time alone and some with friends.

Didn't enjoy some of the bits on my own but think that was more due to trying to go too far (to reach the next b&b) on a couple of days when I had things go badly wrong (wheel breaking, migraine). Shook me up a fair bit but on the whole, it was fun to just ride all day with few distractions and the cricket on the radio.

Top Bottom