Quick question - Who tours alone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveThomas

Regular
It's good for the heart

Brains

Legendary Member
I've never cycle toured solo,
I've also never been on a solo holiday (I've gone on group holidays on my own, but that is not the same)

But I've done many dozens (probably well over 100) multi-day business trips on my own,
Which means I've spent many hundreds (probably over 1,000) nights in hotels all over the world

Probably over half the business trips were solo, and given the choice I prefer solo, but perfectly happy if others come along.
So maybe the same applies to cycle touring ??

Rupie

Über Member
Sorry to join this thread so late but as someone who has never been out on my own I would just spend the whole time worrying about getting my bike and stuff stolen, both day and night !!!

Ps. I had a read of your blog. Great stuff, I really like what you're doing there, there's so many bikes that have so much life left in them yet, they just need a tweak or two.
Intrigued by your poist, i skim read it as well.

very impressed tyred. Thanks. Will get down to reading properly in the future.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sorry to join this thread so late but as someone who has never been out on my own I would just spend the whole time worrying about getting my bike and stuff stolen, both day and night !!!
It depends where you go. Most places are pretty safe especially remote areas.
One of tbe joys of using a Brompton to tour is that it fits in my yent and you can take it inside hostels etc.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member

I've clocked up reasonable mileage touring in the past few years (admittedly in safe areas) and I've only lost two items - both entirely through my own stupidity when the bike fell over after I left it sitting up against a railing on the seafront in Killala and my cycle computer unclipped itself and fell into the harbour and my map blew away. The possibility of things going missing doesn't concern me but I guess I don't spend much time in town centres where it's more likely I guess.

I often seen loaded touring bikes left unattended for most of the day where I used to work in a busy city centre location (there was a hostel around the corner from my office) and nobody ever seemed to touch them.

Rupie

Über Member
So if I was camping, apart from bringing large cycle locks, how do bikes get secured overnight ?

jay clock

Massive member
So if I was camping, apart from bringing large cycle locks, how do bikes get secured overnight ?
I take a lock like this and have never had a problem. I am in either reputable(ish) campsites or hidden stealth locations http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5995440?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189949525|agid:18091976845|tid:aud-180466977205:tongue:la-267880598348|crid:77627774005|nw:g|rnd:13934987449758032143|dvc:c|adp:1o6&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMDNHobKpnhp8wh6Qu-9KI3N8YdO2vLsjwxboVcpWpGhoCWOHw_wcB

However I would not leave the bike in a public area with that on for anything more than a short while. My bike is a Koga Miyata with a built in lock (ok "lock") like this https://www.abus.com/var/ezflow_sit...visual-Frame-locks-Frame-locks_slide_wide.jpg that stops anyone wheeling it away and I use when outside small shops/bars for a minute or two

Last edited:

Rupie

Über Member
Yes I have one of those locks, will stop the opportunist. I think I would worry all the way from start to finish. Obviously I would not leave things like Wallet, phone, Garmin unattended, and I suppose if someone wants to steal my dirty clothes out my panniers, that's up to them.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I sometimes use an old Carradice handlebar bag which comes with a shoulder strap in which I'd keep wallet, phone, camera and anything else of value and I can just unclip it and carry it with me if I'm leaving the bile unattended.

The bike just gets locked with a cheap combination lock. Not very secure but enough to deter opportunists and my usual touring bike is a tatty 1970s road bike so unlikely to attract the attention of thieves. I will always put the bag of dirty washing on the top of the panniers so anyone who opens it won't look any deeper ( I think!).

I have never camped, I stay in hostels or very occasionally B&Bs if there isn't a hostel available where I want to be and most will have somewhere reasonably secure to leave the bike overnight. On a few occasions I've even been allowed to take it into the dorm with me. My bike has spent nights in some strange places now including a fire station, a pub cellar and a garage full of Rover P4s.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've toured alone quite a few times -simply because I don't know anyone to tour with at times. I've also toured with friends, and will say on the whole I prefer having company (but of course that very much depends on the company!!).

Concerning locking the bike up - even with other people, I use a chain and padlock, and try to keep the bike as close as possible to the tent and usually put stuff on it - anything that takes just a bit more time to remove such as a towel or may make a bit of noise such as a mug or water bottle. If I think there's a reasonable chance it could get nicked, the front wheel is removed and locked with the bike, and the saddle stays in the tent with me. If I'm especially paranoid I'll stick the shifters in the lowest gear so you can't just ride away (though of course you have to remember that yourself!!!!!) Nothing practical will ever make it theft proof so I just try to make it as inconvenient to take as I can.

Top Bottom