Quiet High peak routes/suggestions please

• Thread starter Deleted member 89407
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 89407

Don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I'm interested in trying quieter routes in the High Peak, maybe about 20-30 miles but happy to do more. Anyone here from the High Peak / Peak District / Derbyshire area? Or anyone from further afield who has done routes they particularly enjoyed in this general area?

I am interested in quieter country lanes with some (not too much though) ascent/descent. I have cycled for many years on and off on MTBs but have recently moved into road cycling and I'm finding my feet so to speak and I'd rather ride on quieter roads. I have lived near Glossop for about five years now and so know the main roads in and out of the area but ashamedly I haven't ridden most of them.

Any suggestions from personal preferences (that's not necessarily a mainstream route) would be greatly appreciated so I can broaden my geographical riding area, thanks :smile:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I'm interested in trying quieter routes in the High Peak, maybe about 20-30 miles but happy to do more. Anyone here from the High Peak / Peak District / Derbyshire area? Or anyone from further afield who has done routes they particularly enjoyed in this general area?

I am interested in quieter country lanes with some (not too much though) ascent/descent. I have cycled for many years on and off on MTBs but have recently moved into road cycling and I'm finding my feet so to speak and I'd rather ride on quieter roads. I have lived near Glossop for about five years now and so know the main roads in and out of the area but ashamedly I haven't ridden most of them.

Any suggestions from personal preferences (that's not necessarily a mainstream route) would be greatly appreciated so I can broaden my geographical riding area, thanks :smile:

"Not too much ascent" in the high peak is almost an oxymoron!

Near you, the monks road ascent from Charlesworth is wonderful albeit rather arduous. The subsequent descent of Chunal hill to Glossop is arguably one of the most enjoyable in the district.

https://veloviewer.com/segment/1655879

If you have the ability to transport your bike over Snake pass then the Edale valley from Hope towards Mam Nick is wonderful and can be done as an out and back to avoid the ascent of Mam Nick (although if you do that, you can reward yourself with the descent of Winnats pass).

Beyond that I'm struggling with the combination of both quieter and not too much ascent, sorry.

A little further away the Monsal, Tissington and High Peak trails are excellent without being too hilly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

"Not too much ascent" in the high peak is almost an oxymoron!
:laugh::laugh: @roubaixtuesday I guess when you put it that way it does seem an almost impossible task. The "not too much ascent" is mainly geared towards the long, arduous climbs of Snake Pass from Glossop where it seems to go on and on. I don't mind ascent but while I'm still increasing my fitness levels I didn't want the rides to be just up and more up....although the down is always fun.

Near you, the monks road ascent from Charlesworth is wonderful albeit rather arduous. The subsequent descent of Chunal hill to Glossop is arguably one of the most enjoyable in the district.

https://veloviewer.com/segment/1655879
By strange coincidence I had already pre-planned a ride for tomorrow that does include Monks Road, which goes against my previous comment but like you suggested, it's almost impossible to ride on flat, level ground in the High Peak so I have to include some here and there otherwise I'll never improve. The Chunal descent is another reason I wanted to go that way, which leads to Derbyshire Level and the quieter type of road I prefer cycling on.

If you have the ability to transport your bike over Snake pass then the Edale valley from Hope towards Mam Nick is wonderful and can be done as an out and back to avoid the ascent of Mam Nick (although if you do that, you can reward yourself with the descent of Winnats pass).

Beyond that I'm struggling with the combination of both quieter and not too much ascent, sorry.

A little further away the Monsal, Tissington and High Peak trails are excellent without being too hilly.
In the process of sorting out racks for the car as I want to cycle near Ladybower. I have looked at Monsal and Tissington and are definitely something I'd do so am making plans for that. As for Edale, Hope and Mam Nick, I haven't yet looked into those so thanks for the suggestion. Have been through Castleton a few times before but don't know the area too well so I will research these further and plan accordingly.

Incidentally, do you have any favourite routes that you personally enjoy?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Lots of lovely roads around Strines. You will be hard pressed to avoid climbing though. @dan_bo I am sure will give you a steer. Nicky Boy lives in Glossop as well and rides around there all the time. Hope Valley has a lot of good riding. The routes heading South are good. As said Chunal and also over the top to Marple Bridge from there head to New Mills on nice quiet roads. Caveat it all though with it is hilly.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Glossop resident here.

To be honest, a combination of quiet roads and not much climbing is an impossibility if you want 30 mile loops starting in Glossop. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. There are loads of little lanes I can point out but they all involve significant climbing.

Riding out of Glossop for 30 miles I would head along the Marple road initially, then over the tops to New Mills. There are some nice little roads around there. Finally coming back on the road from Marple Bridge into Glossop. That's probably the best option to try. I will PM you a route

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@vickster @Hacienda71 and @nickyboy Thanks for info/suggestions. I will definitely look into Hope Valley and work out a route/s near Marple/New Mills. I haven't been to Strines so will include that as well, maybe check out some heat maps for ideas. I know a route between Charlesworth and Mellor, which does have some great views but there is climbing involved. It's not that I don't want to climb, I just need smaller climbs while I improve as I haven't ridden properly for many months.

All suggestions have been most welcome and a bit to digest. I am building up to 30 miles routes now and hope to be on 40 by mid-summer with any luck. Who knows from there. Thanks nickyboy for any routes you PM over, I will try to factor them into my rides over the coming weeks.

Off to do a ride now while it looks rather pleasant out.

A couple of quieter roads you could try:

If you're heading from the Glossop side towards Chapel - e.g. after riding up and over Monks* - take Highgate Road starting in Hayfield that runs parallel to Chapel Road and misses out a decent section of it. I only discovered this last weekend and wish I'd found it sooner.

Leave Chapel towards Whaley Bridge and turn right into Crossings Road. Then take Eccles Road up to Eccles Pike, and you can drop down to the edge of Whaley on the other side. I personally prefer the ride in the opposite direction but there's no reason that you can't do both! The road is narrow and while there isn't much traffic, be prepared for the occasional vehicle.

*Did you get to ride Monks Road by the way?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

A couple of quieter roads you could try:

If you're heading from the Glossop side towards Chapel - e.g. after riding up and over Monks* - take Highgate Road starting in Hayfield that runs parallel to Chapel Road and misses out a decent section of it. I only discovered this last weekend and wish I'd found it sooner.

Leave Chapel towards Whaley Bridge and turn right into Crossings Road. Then take Eccles Road up to Eccles Pike, and you can drop down to the edge of Whaley on the other side. I personally prefer the ride in the opposite direction but there's no reason that you can't do both! The road is narrow and while there isn't much traffic, be prepared for the occasional vehicle.

*Did you get to ride Monks Road by the way?
@chrisleuty Yes, I did ride Monks Road....the downhill part! In all honesty, I couldn't do steep climb from Charlesworth, it's was too difficult for me. When the gradient wasn't as bad I could ride from that point onwards. Great views to be had on a sunny day.

I walked to this bit....

Rode to the peak, saw this, had to take a photo and enjoyed the downhill.
(I don't know why my picture looks so small)

I have just looked on google maps at the routes you mention. I like the idea of Highgate Road, much quieter and more my style as is Eccles Road. I'll come up with a route I can send to my Garmin just so I don't get lost.

Thanks for the suggestion ^_^

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
:laugh::laugh: @roubaixtuesday I guess when you put it that way it does seem an almost impossible task. The "not too much ascent" is mainly geared towards the long, arduous climbs of Snake Pass from Glossop where it seems to go on and on. I don't mind ascent but while I'm still increasing my fitness levels I didn't want the rides to be just up and more up....although the down is always fun.

By strange coincidence I had already pre-planned a ride for tomorrow that does include Monks Road, which goes against my previous comment but like you suggested, it's almost impossible to ride on flat, level ground in the High Peak so I have to include some here and there otherwise I'll never improve. The Chunal descent is another reason I wanted to go that way, which leads to Derbyshire Level and the quieter type of road I prefer cycling on.

In the process of sorting out racks for the car as I want to cycle near Ladybower. I have looked at Monsal and Tissington and are definitely something I'd do so am making plans for that. As for Edale, Hope and Mam Nick, I haven't yet looked into those so thanks for the suggestion. Have been through Castleton a few times before but don't know the area too well so I will research these further and plan accordingly.

Incidentally, do you have any favourite routes that you personally enjoy?

If you are still increasing your fitness levels, I would have thought the Snake would be a good measure of your progress. There are sufficient landmarks on that road for you aim for as you climb and/or to memorise to measure your success.
The joy of the Snake is the long decents on both sides.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you are still increasing your fitness levels, I would have thought the Snake would be a good measure of your progress. There are sufficient landmarks on that road for you aim for as you climb and/or to memorise to measure your success.
The Snake is one of those climbs where you can take it easy and have a chat on the way up or go full gas and turn yourself inside out. So, yes, it's a good one for the OP

The problem is where to go when you've got to the top. The shortest loop is back via Mam Nick but that's three hours hard cycling so maybe a bit much at the moment?

I've advised the OP via PM of a couple of local loops that won't kill him. I certainly wouldn't recommend Monks Road which is one of the hardest climbs in the area. Also some easyish routes out to Poynton...after which the Cheshire lanes are easy riding

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

I will definitely do Snake Pass when I feel up to the challenge. I have seen so many people on the climb up with agonised faces that it has put me off but it's something I will set myself to do at some point. I'd like to cycle to Hayfield and Chapel-en-le-Frith so will do the A624 first. But I do prefer quieter roads.

The thing with long descents, which are great fun, is that I am a wuss and rarely go over 30, plus my bike is new and I don't want to cane the brakes like I did on my MTB last year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

The Snake is one of those climbs where you can take it easy and have a chat on the way up or go full gas and turn yourself inside out. So, yes, it's a good one for the OP

The problem is where to go when you've got to the top. The shortest loop is back via Mam Nick but that's three hours hard cycling so maybe a bit much at the moment?

I've advised the OP via PM of a couple of local loops that won't kill him. I certainly wouldn't recommend Monks Road which is one of the hardest climbs in the area. Also some easyish routes out to Poynton...after which the Cheshire lanes are easy riding
Going to Mam Nick from the initial climb on Snake Pass would certainly be too much for me atm. I will definitely be doing the route you sent me, of which part of it I did yesterday and it was great. The climb from Chisworth on NCN68 wasn't as bad as Monks Road but I did stop once (I used this as an excuse to take some pictures). My favourite part was Gun Road and this view:

Gun Road.jpg

For me it doesn't get much better than this although I am keen to cycle round Hope Valley and the flatter lanes of Cheshire for some easygoing rides.

Top Bottom