Quit smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Good luck.....you can do it...I quit on Dec 31 1999 but I had tried many times before.I went cold turkey.The trick is when you give up to never touch one again...I did have an incentive though...it was either the cigs or cycling...

steve50

Disenchanted Member
As above, good luck , its all about will power!!!
I quit almost fifteen years ago, midway through a nightshift, went cold turkey and never looked back.
Look at it as a mindset, you see a bike you really really must have, you set your heart on it and neither hell nor high water is going to keep you from that bike, look at giving up smoking in exactly the same way, nobody and nothing is going to stand in your way of quitting the weed........go for it!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it is nearly all in the head!

You can get over the physical addiction very quickly, but if you keep thinking of yourself as a smoker then your mind will keep pulling you back to it.

I smoked for about 4 or 5 years when I was young but I never actually considered myself to be a smoker, just someone who indulged himself in smoking cigarettes on a regular basis.

I know that sounds a daft distinction, but it made all the difference to me. I smoked 60 B&H during one 12 hour party and felt so rough the next day that I decided I would stop that indulgence. So I did ...

I never once felt that I craved a cigarette. I just told myself that I wasn't going to do it any more.

PS I did make a mistake a year later. I showed off to my friends by buying a packet of cigarettes to smoke in celebration of the anniversary of stopping. It took me a couple of years to give up again, using the same thinking. :whistle:

Anyway, whichever way you choose to do it - DO IT - you won't regret it! Good luck.

grumpyoldwoman

I was a 40 a day smoker two years ago. I now don't smoke. I started vaping instead,if I was still a smoker,there's no way I'd have started cycling again as I was forever wheezing/coughing/short of breath.

Best thing I ever did.I'm better off,health wise,my skin is clear and my house doesn't smell like an ashtray!

subaqua

What’s the point
i found that by "giving up " something i was denying myself something and I struggled. Keith Waterhouse the playwright summed it up better.
keith waterhouse said:
Whatever the truth about the efficacy or otherwise of nicotine patches, clearly it is high time I gave my own infallible cure for smoking its five-yearly outing.

This is what you do.

You don't give up smoking.

But to begin at the beginning. First it is necessary to catch flu.

Or, if not flu, then a very heavy cold. Or, if not a heavy cold, then some other respiratory affliction that renders you not so much unwilling, as unable, to smoke without coughing your lungs out.

You buy a packet of 20 but resolve to let the cough subside before you resume the habit of a lifetime. The cough subsides all right but you are left with a chesty wheeze.

You decide that no harm will come of waiting for the wheeze to fade out before lighting up again.

The wheeze fades out. It is by now the middle of the month.

You think to yourself that if you wait until the first of next month your lungs will have been given every change to repair themselves.

The first of the month comes and goes. By now you have a new target date - why not Shakespeare's birthday, April 23? Or Oliver Cromwell's birthday, April 25? It doesn't matter which - you are never going to keep your date with destiny.

You see what we're doing, don't you? We are moving the goalposts. You should have started smoking again a good month ago by now but that packet of 20 remains untouched. Why?

Because you haven't got the willpower to start up smoking again, have you?

For years now you have meant to give up smoking one of these days but you've always been too weak-willed to do so. Now the boot is on the other foot. You are too weak-willed to light that first cigarette.

You have transferred your pathetic lack of willpower and self-control into a positive force rather than a negative one.

It works, believe me. It is now well over 30 years since the weed last touched my lips. Yet never for an instant have I ever accepted that I have given up smoking.

It is the other way round - smoking has given up on me, but all it needs is a OWNS and cities up and down Britain are now jostling one another in their eagerness to be the first to impose an all-out ban on smoking in public places.

Meanwhile, there is bad news for those who have been intending to give up voluntarily without waiting to have their collars felt by a posse of health 'n' safety police lurking behind the Jubilee horse trough. It is that nicotine patches don't work.

Or so say anti-smoking experts - and who isn't an expert in this field? They claim that the patches are merely replacing one form of nicotine with another.

Red letter days have come and gone by the score while I struggled to succumb to temptation. My birthday, my children's birthdays, the Queen's birthday, the cat's birthday.

November 9, Dylan Thomas dies in New York. November 10, Stanley discovers Livingstone.

November 17, Suez Canal opened. December 16, Noel Coward born. . .

I've seen 'em come, I've seen 'em go, as my great predecessor, Cassandra, said in another context. But somehow I've never got round to smoking again.

I'll make it one of these days.

How about April Fool's Day?

For those of you wanting to try this at home, the important thing is not to give up smoking - ever. A temporary cessation between puffs is all you are seeking. How about October 29, the date of Sir Walter Raleigh's execution?

Not, however, for the sin of introducing tobacco to these shores

its just over 7 Years since i started to not smoke ( Feb 2009 ) and this is the most successful I have ever been in not smoking

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I stopped five and a half years ago after many decades. I suddenly realised that I really was pushing my luck health-wise. I just stopped. What really helped was putting away the ciggie money every day and watching the pot to grow to the fabulous sum of £750 which would buy me a nice new bike. That was a really powerful incentive.
It's all in your head. I wish you the very best of luck.

Reactions: gbb
Thank you all.
Its the health benefits that i am looking forward to the most.
I suffer from GERD which smoking doesnt help. It also leaves me with inflamed nasal linings meaning I cant breath very well through my nose.
I'm also hoping quitting will mean a subsidence of GERD.

Lonestar

Veteran
Pretty sure my bronchitis at the time was a result of the smoking.I remember being so short of breath when on the bike that it scared me.

tyred

Legendary Member
Go for it. Will be the best thing you ever did.

It really is all in the mind too, even after 2 years there are still the odd occasion where I find myself thinking I'd like a cigarette but I just need to remind myself why I stopped in the first place and it passes.

I'm a plaudit of visualisation.
See yourself as fit, energetic, non smoker rather than a smoker trying to give up.

Plus just think of all the cool cycling stuff with the money you'll save
smileys-money-114847.gif

Top Bottom