Quit smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Good luck, @Tanis8472!

It took me several attempts to get over this smelly, expensive addiction. So many attempts that it became annoying. That's what probably did it in the end. That and telling people i am not a smoker NOW, i was THEN (yesterday, this morning, last week, or whenever it was i last smoked). It's all about getting in the right mindset. I think hypnotherapy is a good idea.

Thank you all. Its helping.

I'm off in about 30 minutes to see him.

I really want to stop now. As they say in Lethal Weapon, "I'm too old for this shoot" :smile:

I think I upset the naughty word filter LOL

Oldfentiger

Veteran
After being a 25 a day smoker since I was 16, I gave up18 years ago.
I did 3 things:
No cigarettes anywhere in the house, nor anywhere else accessible.
Chewed Nicorrette gum as the need arose.
I had a large whisky bottle, and every day I didn't smoke I put the money in the bottle instead.

After 6 months, we had our fortnight holiday in Italy paid for from the bottle money, (the missus gave up at the same time as me).
After a year, all temptation to smoke was completely gone, and I could no longer understand why anyone would want to smoke.
The health benefits need no explaining.
In the first few months after you first stop smoking, you may develop a cough. This is fairly usual and will gradually disappear.
I believe it's something to do with the fact that your airways are no longer plastered with tar, and the little hairs are springing back up and doing the job they're supposed to.

Good luck with your efforts!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good luck with this. I made many unsuccessful attempts but made it in the end.

For me Nicorette gum was the answer. I chewed almost all day but slowly and surely the need decreased till the desire went. I could still smoke a cigarette and occasionally know I'm tempted. I always have Nicorette around for those odd occasions when I weaken. It's the "just one will be OK" thing for me and I know if I do I'll be back to 10/day inside a week.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Best of luck mate. I gave up many years ago and fortunately wasn't a heavy smoker, but still found it hard. Cigarettes are amazingly addictive.

The one thing that helped me when I got a craving (and I'd have an excuse such as I'd had a bad day, needed to unwind, etc, etc) was the simple fact that so many other people don't need to smoke to cope. That just made a difference to me. FWIW my wife did hypnotherapy with someone called "The Crazy Russian" (no kidding) and came back telling me it was a complete waste of money, and that he didn't do anything. Guess what? She's never touched a cigarette since :smile:

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I gave up 8 years ago. I was turning 30 and my motivation was that I wished to be around to see my daughter turn 30.

Motivation is everything, you have to WANT to quit, you have to feel guilty about even thinking of a smoke. Don't keep any around, don't even keep a lighter in your car. Break your habits and find other things to fill your regular smoke breaks.

As I said, 8 years down the line and smoking does not occur to me any more. I weigh more, I eat more, I taste things and don't stink around other people.

I want to stop. It's causing me a lot of grief. My Mrs smokes and does not want to stop which has been the biggest hurdle. always have cigs about the house. Going Wednesday evening.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Wish me luck.

I'm trying hypnotherapy tomorrow night to quit.
Tried Phoenix (NHS) with patches, zyban and sprays.

Not been very successful so far :sad:

I did manage to quit in 2006 for 3 years, but stupidly started again.
I want to stop for good.
good luck... i have a vague recollection of starting a similar thread a few years back (cough). :rolleyes:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I think it is nearly all in the head!

You can get over the physical addiction very quickly, but if you keep thinking of yourself as a smoker then your mind will keep pulling you back to it.

I smoked for about 4 or 5 years when I was young but I never actually considered myself to be a smoker, just someone who indulged himself in smoking cigarettes on a regular basis.

I know that sounds a daft distinction, but it made all the difference to me. I smoked 60 B&H during one 12 hour party and felt so rough the next day that I decided I would stop that indulgence. So I did ...

I never once felt that I craved a cigarette. I just told myself that I wasn't going to do it any more.

PS I did make a mistake a year later. I showed off to my friends by buying a packet of cigarettes to smoke in celebration of the anniversary of stopping. It took me a couple of years to give up again, using the same thinking. :whistle:

Anyway, whichever way you choose to do it - DO IT - you won't regret it! Good luck.

Nearly as easy as giving up choccy bars ;)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Wish me luck.

I'm trying hypnotherapy tomorrow night to quit.
Tried Phoenix (NHS) with patches, zyban and sprays.

Not been very successful so far :sad:

I did manage to quit in 2006 for 3 years, but stupidly started again.
I want to stop for good.

Good luck I stopped 8 years and 4 months ago (not that I am counting or anything :giggle:) just remember to stay away from them once you quit it is too easy to start again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nearly as easy as giving up choccy bars ;)
I'm doing this one in reverse ... While I was a drinker, I told myself that I was not a chocolate eater. Once I gave up booze though, I thought I had better take up an alternative vice to keep my mind off drink, but chocolate-munching rapidly got out of hand. There was always a limit to how much alcohol I would drink in an evening (4 or 5 pints) but I have not yet discovered the chocolate limit ... 100 g a session is easy, and sometimes nearer 150 g! :whistle:

Top Bottom