Quit smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommyboy1289

Regular
I too gave up via vaping, best thing I ever did, still vape now as when I'm driving (joys of being a lorry driver) my hands feel like they should be doing something, the vaping stops that, 7 months on for me and I don't miss the fags at all, make my own liquid for the vaping machine and it's awesome, got some pink lemonade flavour and jam donut flavours going at the minute, makes me wonder why I smoked in the first place.

Thats commendable giving up with vaping, as long as you quit that too.
There is mounting evidence that it causes something called popcorn lung. Not good to have :smile:

Well I went out today and did a 31 mile ride without getting totally breathless. Result :smile:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I too gave up via vaping, best thing I ever did, still vape now as when I'm driving (joys of being a lorry driver) my hands feel like they should be doing something, the vaping stops that, 7 months on for me and I don't miss the fags at all, make my own liquid for the vaping machine and it's awesome, got some pink lemonade flavour and jam donut flavours going at the minute, makes me wonder why I smoked in the first place.

I also diy my own liquid...since quitting the cigs,its amazing how tight ive become
Thats commendable giving up with vaping, as long as you quit that too.
There is mounting evidence that it causes something called popcorn lung. Not good to have :smile:

Well I went out today and did a 31 mile ride without getting totally breathless. Result :smile:

Id love to see this evidence....dont believe the daily mail..etc etc.its vapour,you know the stuff that forms in the bathroom whilst having a warm shower or you know those posh saunas that create vapour,unless you are holding your breath in there you are breathing vapour.Im not saying vaping is good for you but 20 odd chemicals contained in it compared to 7000 in a cigarette has definitely got to be better for you.There are masses of documentation supporting vaping over smoking and for good reason.There are a few negative reviews but alot of these have been dismissed as utter codswollop.Yes it would be fantastic to be free from both but for the moment the odd toot on a "vaping machine"is a million times better for my health and that is fact.

Tommyboy1289

Regular
I am not sure how you can say vaping is healthier than smoking when no one knows what damage it maybe causing and probably wont for many years to come, in my mind you are simply swapping one addiction for another.

In a fashion I kind of agree, but the ingredients I use in my liquids are (and with making my own I know exacyly whats going into them);
  • Nicotine
  • Propylene glycol (not Ethylene glycol - which is toxic). Used in asthma inhalers and nebulizers. An experiment using animals determined "air containing these vapors in amounts up to the saturation point is completely harmless". The USA FDA has classified propylene glycol as "generally recognised as safe".
  • Vegetable glycerol - low toxicity. Used in medications, cosmetic and food items.
The only other chemicals are in the flavourings, which (if coming from a reputable merchant) are food grade and generally recognised as safe. By volume, flavours make up a very small percentage of eliquids.

In 1976, Professor Michael Russell wrote in the British Medical Journal, “People smoke for nicotine but they die from the tar.” In the near-40 years since that statement was made, very little has changed in the scientific literature.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
In a fashion I kind of agree, but the ingredients I use in my liquids are (and with making my own I know exacyly whats going into them);
  • Nicotine
  • Propylene glycol (not Ethylene glycol - which is toxic). Used in asthma inhalers and nebulizers. An experiment using animals determined "air containing these vapors in amounts up to the saturation point is completely harmless". The USA FDA has classified propylene glycol as "generally recognised as safe".
  • Vegetable glycerol - low toxicity. Used in medications, cosmetic and food items.
The only other chemicals are in the flavourings, which (if coming from a reputable merchant) are food grade and generally recognised as safe. By volume, flavours make up a very small percentage of eliquids.

Fair enough I am not one to preach, I have smoked and drunk pretty much everything there is over the last 50 years which probably makes me all the more cautious these days now that I have given up almost everything there is to give up except moving & breathing.

Tommyboy1289

Regular
Fair enough I am not one to preach, I have smoked and drunk pretty much everything there is over the last 50 years which probably makes me all the more cautious these days now that I have given up almost everything there is to give up except moving & breathing.

I will give up vaping one day, alot of the laws/rules are changing in the next couple of years so that will probably be the kick up the backside for me, but wether vaping is safe or not in the short term I don't know, is it safer than smoking, I dare say it is and let's be fair, if it helps anyone give up smoking then fair cop.

I wouldn't be out on two wheels if I was still smoking, so I've got that to thank for it.

tfg71

Well done on stopping. I had my last cig on 2ND may 2015 the same day I had my heart attack out of the blue. I have a vape which helps me stay of the cigs. I feel a lot better for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I gave up for six years, then, after a very stressful time earlier this year I started again. Stupid thing to do as now I'm hooked again.
You gave up once, you can give up again. Remember non smokers don't turn to cigarettes in times of stress.

I stupidly started again for 6 months after not smoking for over 5 years. That was over 6 years ago

Good luck :smile:

Heigue'r

Veteran
There is little or no reliable peer reviewed clinical evidence for any benefits to vaping. There is increasing evidence of the side effects which, whilst not as bad as traditional cigarettes, are not non-existent.

The fact that you have to compare vaping with breathing in bathroom vapour just illustrates the paucity and lack of substance in your stance.

Fair point and was tongue in cheek really,forgot the smilies.Could you please point me in the direction of this evidence.I would be grateful. Thanks

Also Im not stupid enough to believe that vaping is not harming me in some way.Just to clear that point up.But it is better than smoking,this is what my body tells me.

Keep at it op and sorry for possibly starting a debate on your thread.Great going,keep at it.

Top Bottom