Quit smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Day 6

Feel like I've got a cold. I'm led to believe, that's a sign of scillia starting to work again. I'm very chesty today too, probably brought on by doing a 30 miler on sunday.

tyred

Legendary Member
Day 6

Feel like I've got a cold. I'm led to believe, that's a sign of scillia starting to work again. I'm very chesty today too, probably brought on by doing a 30 miler on sunday.

Yes, it should start to pass within a few days but a few days in I coughed practically 24/7 for a few days and then suddenly realised I could breathe properly again :smile:

It's good to clear your lungs out and good that you're aware of it as on previous attempts to stop, I decided my breathing was worse without cigarettes and used it as an excuse to start smoking again....:wacko:

e-rider

Banned member
Day 6

After day 10 you should have passed the worst of it, then it's just a case of keep going. After 3 months it will be very easy indeed, and after 2 years you will not remember life as a smoker at all - trust me you will be 100% free of it forever. Smoking farks up many parts of your body not just the obvious lungs/heart etc. There is no good reason to smoke, only the remains of the addiction will make you think otherwise. Well done keep going - it will get easier every day soon

And the best advice I can give is to never go anywhere near a cig again -ever! 2 years down the line, a quick puff on a mates cig will likely start the chain of events that ultimately makes you a smoker again

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
And the best advice I can give is to never go anywhere near a cig again -ever! 2 years down the line, a quick puff on a mates cig will likely start the chain of events that ultimately makes you a smoker again

I'll second that. I've been off them near enough 8 years and never had a single puff in all that time.

Sounds like you're determined and doing well, keep it up :smile:

Very determined. Yes I have noticed breathing is getting easier now. Noticed it most last Sunday when cycling.
Just sat down from work and doing some household stuff and thought I would see what heart rate is. 70bpm. I remember it being nearer 80 last week.
The really impressive part for me is that the Mrs still smokes so has cigs around the house and I've not even bothered to look for them or be tempted.
Oh and £40 saved :dance:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Very determined. Yes I have noticed breathing is getting easier now. Noticed it most last Sunday when cycling.
Just sat down from work and doing some household stuff and thought I would see what heart rate is. 70bpm. I remember it being nearer 80 last week.
The really impressive part for me is that the Mrs still smokes so has cigs around the house and I've not even bothered to look for them or be tempted.
Oh and £40 saved :dance:

It is very satisfying to look back at how much you have saved after a long time, I have saved £14,521.47 based on the prices when I quit and they are about double that now so its a lot more than that :okay:

Been out on a 23 mile ride after work tonight.
Felt so much easier, even with a quite strong head wind.

Day 7 and £47 saved :eek:

Why on earth did I ever start :headshake:

Yorksman

The two hurdles are the cravings for a cigarette and the association with repeated actions. You get over the cravings first and within a relatively short period of time, 10 weeks or so depending on your own personal make up.

Associations, where you feel you should pick up a cigarette at any particular point last much longer. For example, I had not smoked for 10 months and had worked through all the associations, eg when the phone rang, after a meal and so on but I got on the ferry in Hull and watched them cast off and felt I ought to be smoking a cigarette, like I always used to do at this point every year.

The associations are not too hard to resist but you have to remind yourself, 'I don't smoke anymore'. You must avoid getting into thinking, 'I have given up, just one won't hurt'. Each and every association, and there are usually a large number of them, have to be broken one by one. Coming back on the ferry from Rotterdam, I didn't have the feeling because I had broken the association. The next time I got the feeling was when I flew somewhere and, normally the first thing you do after landing and getting through immigrations and the bag pick up is, go outside and have a cig. That was two years after giving up and I hadn't thought of a cigarette for a long time. But, they are not cravings, just habits learned in the past.

Best of luck with phase 1 of your quest. It is the harder but it does get easier every week. Don't get downhearted when you get the habit thing. You have many to break but each one is much easier than a real craving.

Top Bottom