Radio 4's Mishal, now Michelle Husain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its clearly Theresa May's fault.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Isn't Mishal the Arabic equivalent of Michelle, in which case it makes sense to Anglicise it to make it more appealing to the listeners.

I would imagine she's fed up with people mangling it's pronunciation and that's all there is to it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yeah, I soon warm to the Asians who call me at all hours to fix my computer when I realise they have British sounding names:rolleyes:.

Roll your eyes all you want. I guess you have not experienced the pain of repeating your name to indigenous British folk who a) just cannot reconcile with its unfamilarity and then b) lazily shorten it without your consent because it's easier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Isn't it normal for people at the BBC to spell their ordinary names in odd ways so they stand out in the credits?

I'm surprised she hasn't gaelicised it by turning it into Micheáil or summat.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No. Mishal is the Urdu equivalent of Mishal.

As for "...Anglicis[ing] it to make it more appealing to the listeners..." this isn't the fecking 1950s.

It's an Arabic name. She may be of Pakistani origin, but she's also of a Muslim background. Mishal (and it's various other spellings: Michelle, Mishel) is the Muslim version of the biblical name Michelle.

Re the Anglicanisation, see my post above. Ethnic minorities feel considerable pressure to fit in and be seen as 'one of us'. They easiest way is to make their first name seem familiar to the mainstream population. Many Indians and Sri Lankans use a shortened version of their name or use the closest English variant.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
And how is that relevant to a radio presenter?

I was answering Snorri's point about Asians calling him up offering IT help with British names.

It's easier introducing oneself as 'Bert' rather than 'BharatinamlalKrishnan'. Real life example.

Top Bottom