Railway modellers - come on, out of the woodwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keyser soze

I work on choo choo's if I count.. :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I built s 4mm scale model of Darlington North Road Station that was used on the exhibition model of the Stockton and Darlington Railway built for the 150th anniversary. It featured in Railway Modeller in 1975.

I have around six or seven unbuilt 7mm locomotive kits and sufficient tooling to build gauge one live steam locomotives.

yoyo

Mr Yoyo says ' Railway modelling AND Bikes - too weird for words!!! He has 00 gauge all round the attic with a work in progress modelling Leeds Station in the steam era. I have a collection of foreign trains, mainly Swiss and an Eddie Stobart engine. Most have sound chips and digital control. Mr. Yoyo wrote a programme to control the layout remotely using his Android phone. We also have several metres of Gauge 1 track and a real steam engine and coach.

I've jumped straight in and answered, will read thread later:

I used to work in a model shop after 10 years of not building anything and my 00 was in boxes at my parents, due to working in the shop, I started building an N gauge layout, it's still in progress and I hope to have some track on it and it working before it's a year old.

it's an LMS branch line serving a small yorkshire town set in 1946-48

although I do have a deltic prototype.

one day I might have space for my 00 again.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My parents built me a layout in the loft when I was a kid, and I loved to bits, but then we moved, and its replacement was never finished due to various reasons (it became a test track instead).
I took my models to run at the local Model Railway club instead, and still help them at exhibitions (mainly Model Rail Scotland) from time to time, but that is about the extent of it.

These days, I still collect the occasional model, but for display purposes only. I'd love to build a new layout, but quite honestly, I really can't be bothered! :blush:

TVC

If that's O gauge then you're a lot smaller than I thought you were.

BTW where is that?

Night Train

Maker of Things
As much as I love trains and steam locomotives I think I would be more likely to have one of these.
Steam_engine1.jpg

However, back on topic, should it be HO or OO scale?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A garden railway would be my dream, but the kit requires a huge investment.

I've got a fair bit of N gauge stuff from ebay over the past few months with the intention of making a layout. I'm looking to adapt a 5 or 6ft folding snooker table as a base, the sort of size that can hold a decent layout in N. I half wish I'd gone for Z gauge now, but it costs a lot more and I don't think the very small sizes run that well. T gauge locos look like Scalextric cars on the track, the tiny motors won't run at slow speed.

compo

Veteran
When I was a child back in the 1950's I had a trainset. It was a Hornby, but I don't recall which gauge. The engines were fairly large, heavy and clockwork. They had operating rods in the "cab" which you pulled or pushed to make the train go backwards or forwards. The track was fairly wide and there was a suitcase full of it, and points and signals and all sorts of bits. I had passenger carraiges and lots of goods wagons. After I was kidnapped by the social workers I never did know what happened to it. I bet the thievin' gits sold it but I never saw it again. Probably be worth a bob or two nowadays.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I was a child back in the 1950's I had a trainset. It was a Hornby, but I don't recall which gauge. The engines were fairly large, heavy and clockwork. They had operating rods in the "cab" which you pulled or pushed to make the train go backwards or forwards. The track was fairly wide and there was a suitcase full of it, and points and signals and all sorts of bits. I had passenger carraiges and lots of goods wagons. After I was kidnapped by the social workers I never did know what happened to it. I bet the thievin' gits sold it but I never saw it again. Probably be worth a bob or two nowadays.
I had an O gauge clockwork tank engine and coaches just as you describe, when I was a little kid.
A bit like this one.
72.jpg

I don't know what happened to that either.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
We're building a 5inch trck around father in laws house at the moment :smile: were also all members of the Wimborne model engineers club too :smile: the 3 year old loves it! We're just beginners though

Top Bottom