Raisins vs Sultanas. Fight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I like to rinse and soak my sultanas in boiling water. It makes them much more moist & plumpscious.

I tried that with my dried plums once. I won't repeat the experiment. Q

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sultanas, raisins and currants in that order.

Sultanas are plumper and juicer. Currants can be bitter.

I have to restrain myself as I could happily eat any dried fruit by the handful. The only point to that Christmas malarkey that some people like to celebrate is the mince pies, Christmas cake (marzipan but no icing) and Christmas pudding.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They actually tend to come from different grape varieties as well, not only the amount/type of drying.

Raisins and sultanas are fairly similar types of grape, green varieties, but currants come from a completely different, much smaller fruiting dark grape (usually Black Corinth). Raisins can be made from any green variety, while sultanas only come from a seedless variety.
I bow to your superior knowledge.:becool:

presta

Guru
Raisins are OK, I eat some mixed nuts and raisins every morning with my breakfast. Sultanas, yuk, they remind me of those strange green curries you used to get in the 1960s.

I like to rinse and soak my sultanas in boiling water. It makes them much more moist & plumpscious.
Soak then in tea or something alcoholic. I put them in apple crumbles to soak up the apple juice

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
None, they all look like dead flies with there wings missing

Fly Cemetery.jpg

Top Bottom