Raisins vs Sultanas. Fight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
The only interesting thing about a cranberry is its method of harvest
And the fact that it cures cystitis is a myth with no scientific proof.

Raisins or sultanas are interchangeable for me. I'm not so keen currants - or rather, I'm not keen on the gritty texture.

Dried fruit in general - yes please. Dried sour cherries especially. :hungry: Xmas pud and mince pies - send me your unwanted ones. :hungry:

Apricots... I grown my own, although I'm too far north to have a reliable crop. But when I do get a good crop, they're on a different planet to anything shop-bought. I love making apricot butter to spread on my toast.

Holland & Barrett sell strips of dried banana compressed into a block @KnittyNorah - I do buy that occasionally. Love to cut them up into pieces and then suck them like sweets. :blush:

Thanks for that recommendation - next time I'm in town I'll have a look in H & B for them. When I was in New Caledonia I used to have banana jam (looks disgusting, tastes divine) on a chunk of proper, very fresh, very French, baguette for my breakfast ... oh happy days!

Mum keeps wondering if banana jam is nice - I have a Marguerite Patten recipe for it. But after my run-in with Date & Banana chutney, I'm hesitant to try, because I found the chutney waaaaaaaaaaay too sweet.

P.S. Not sure why you posted the reply in the Beer thread LOL... I am most definitely teetotal :laugh:

Mum keeps wondering if banana jam is nice - I have a Marguerite Patten recipe for it. But after my run-in with Date & Banana chutney, I'm hesitant to try, because I found the chutney waaaaaaaaaaay too sweet.

P.S. Not sure why you posted the reply in the Beer thread LOL... I am most definitely teetotal :laugh:
Hmm I didn't know that I'd posted it in the Beer thread - I thought I posted it in answer to your remark about dried bananas in H & B!
Banana jam is indeed very sweet - but a VERY intense flavour so you only need a little to get the full flavour- and what a flavour! I sometimes used to squeeze a few drops of lemon or lime juice on it once it was spread on my bread. Jam being sweet is one thing - it can 'bear it' IMO - but chutney needs to be much more careful abut its degree of sweetness. I'm not sure if banana jam made from the type of bananas available here would be the same as the banana jam I've eaten in tropical and sub-tropical places where the banana grows naturally; I suspect not.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Raisins or sultanas are interchangeable for me. I'm not so keen currants - or rather, I'm not keen on the gritty texture.

Dried fruit in general - yes please. Dried sour cherries especially. :hungry: Xmas pud and mince pies - send me your unwanted ones. :hungry:

Apricots... I grown my own, although I'm too far north to have a reliable crop. But when I do get a good crop, they're on a different planet to anything shop-bought. I love making apricot butter to spread on my toast.

Holland & Barrett sell strips of dried banana compressed into a block @KnittyNorah - I do buy that occasionally. Love to cut them up into pieces and then suck them like sweets. :blush:

Are we related? ;)

Hmm I didn't know that I'd posted it in the Beer thread - I thought I posted it in answer to your remark about dried bananas in H & B!
Banana jam is indeed very sweet - but a VERY intense flavour so you only need a little to get the full flavour- and what a flavour! I sometimes used to squeeze a few drops of lemon or lime juice on it once it was spread on my bread. Jam being sweet is one thing - it can 'bear it' IMO - but chutney needs to be much more careful abut its degree of sweetness. I'm not sure if banana jam made from the type of bananas available here would be the same as the banana jam I've eaten in tropical and sub-tropical places where the banana grows naturally; I suspect not.

Sounds like the jam equivalent of marmite then - a little goes a long way., :okay:

I like my chutneys to be sweet-sour, a big flavour with a little bit of a kick - shop-bought ones are much too sweet. I've developed some lovely recipes over the years including tangy tomato, red pepper & green tomato, apple & date, gingered plum, apricot & chilli, and I've even won rosettes for them. :blush:

Top Bottom