Raisins vs Sultanas. Fight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Which is the best?

I'm happy with both, and do like a few thrown on my morning cereal. Slight preference for a sultana, seem to be a tad juicier and also come out better in a fruit scone.

Currant are definitely a weedy 3rd place - stick them up your Eccles cakes.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Which is the best?

I'm happy with both, and do like a few thrown on my morning cereal. Slight preference for a sultana, seem to be a tad juicier and also come out better in a fruit scone.

Currant are definitely a weedy 3rd place - stick them up your Eccles cakes.
xx(xx(xx( None of the above, hate all dried fruit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Flies! They feed me flies!

tumblr_m2uj95UIna1rs2d8bo1_400.gif

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sultanas, raisins, currants all the same thing but just a different amount of drying. I use raisins in cooking but use sultanas when there is no cooking involved.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Whichever is on cheap offer. I use them occasionally, when making a fruited tea loaf, but that’s about it. I pop them into my home made granola, from time to time.

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Dried vine fruits are the devil's nose pickings. IMO; I understand that others like them and I'll happily use them if making cakes for others. Stops me eating them at any rate! I'll use other dried fruits if cooking anything I'll be eating - they're all OK. Vine fruits can only eaten fresh - or drunk in liquid form!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I like to rinse and soak my sultanas in boiling water. It makes them much more moist & plumpscious.

Alex321

Veteran
Sultanas, raisins, currants all the same thing but just a different amount of drying. I use raisins in cooking but use sultanas when there is no cooking involved.
They actually tend to come from different grape varieties as well, not only the amount/type of drying.

Raisins and sultanas are fairly similar types of grape, green varieties, but currants come from a completely different, much smaller fruiting dark grape (usually Black Corinth). Raisins can be made from any green variety, while sultanas only come from a seedless variety.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm with @T4tomo here. I like both Raisins and Sultanas, with currants definitely 3rd.

Use them all in cooking, or I'll sometimes have a snack of raisins or sultanas mixed with a few salted peanuts.

Top Bottom