Raisins vs Sultanas. Fight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No
that currant slice thing, was know as "Fly pie" in our house
Nope that's a piece of sly cake. Pretty good depending on the quality of the pastry.

And currants are just wrong.

Dried grapes are wrong full stop. Raisins, sultanas, ones from Corinth or Piraeus or anywhere else. Big ones, little ones, white or black, sky-blue pink with a yellow border ones - all are just wrong and horrible. They look just like like dead flies - from house flies to bluebottles.

Fresh grapes, now - and grapes in liquid form, too - well that's a different matter entirely!

Tribansman

Veteran
Currants being mistaken for dead, wingless, legless flies I can understand, but sultanas? Maybe the variety I get are ultra plump, but I can't ever recall seeing a fly remotely that big!

Sultanas are as vital with my morning corn flakes / porridge as milk.

Tribansman

Veteran
Dried grapes are wrong full stop. Raisins, sultanas, ones from Corinth or Piraeus or anywhere else. Big ones, little ones, white or black, sky-blue pink with a yellow border ones - all are just wrong and horrible. They look just like like dead flies - from house flies to bluebottles.

Fresh grapes, now - and grapes in liquid form, too - well that's a different matter entirely!
Where do you stand on dried apricots? much more reliably apricoty than fresh in my experience. Mushy, slightly dessicated apricots are always a vile disappointment...and more common than they should be. So I now prefer the reliability of the dried version.

Where do you stand on dried apricots? much more reliably apricoty than fresh in my experience. Mushy, slightly dessicated apricots are always a vile disappointment...and more common than they should be. So I now prefer the reliability of the dried version.

Dried apricots - and plums. dates and figs - are fine in every way, being impossible to mistake for any foul insect form of life. Fresh apricots need to be truly fresh, straight off the tree and warm from the sun, to be worth eating. I also like dried apples, pears, pineapple, mango and the like. Dried bananas - at least those most usually available in the UK - are pointless as they are more like banana-scented bits of wood than the moist, chewy, sweet strips I've enjoyed in more tropical climes.

Julia9054

Guru
Sultanas, raisins and currants in that order.

Sultanas are plumper and juicer. Currants can be bitter.

I have to restrain myself as I could happily eat any dried fruit by the handful. The only point to that Christmas malarkey that some people like to celebrate is the mince pies, Christmas cake (marzipan but no icing) and Christmas pudding.
Mmmmm - I think you may be my twin! I’m the only one in my house that likes Christmas pudding and as I don’t do cooking I get out voted.
Also dried figs - my craving! And great to fill your jersey pockets with for a long bike ride

Top Bottom