Raleigh bikes. BBC4 Wed 21:00

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4727648, member: 259"]Carlton enthusiasts wouldn't give a flying fark if Jimmy Saville rode a Carlton.[/QUOTE]

Alas, that's nothing more than speculation. What is not speculation is the sudden disappearance of the words "ex Savile bike" in the wording of ads for Carltons.

Whereas previously those words would command a premium, now they never even get mentioned. Strange behaviour for people that couldn't give a flying fark, wouldn't you say?

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4727655, member: 259"]Nonsense, that's more to do with Saville fans.[/QUOTE]

Then why were such ads in bike mags and on bike forums at all?

Why were bike shops and not memorabilia sellers buying ex Savile bikes for their display?

Edit - just remembered, it was Planet X.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If Carlton were still a top selling brand Savile would not have dented their sales to the tune of even one. How many of the general public are even aware that Savile was a cyclist? After it all came out there wasn't a rush of research into what TV he owned or which coffee he drank so they could be avoided. The only people who were aware of Savile's ownership of a Carlton were the anoraks who even knew the date of birth of the guy who applied the transfers.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Tour of Britain 1951, rode for the Yorkshire team. He didn't finish. Oscar Savile.

1951Savile1.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I remember one of the staff in my LBS back in the 80's recalling how Savile would turn up for races with his bike in the boot of his Rolls-Royce. I can't quite remember, he might even have said pink Rolls-Royce.

I saw Savile a couple of times in central London in a Rolls Royce.

It might have been a Corniche convertible, google suggests he had several Rolls over the years.

It had the number plate JS 247 - the original Radio One medium wave frequency, although I think they were broadcasting on something else when I saw the car in the 1980s.

Here's one of his later Rolls with the same number plate:

http://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2012/10/12/jimmy-savile-scandal-drives-down-value-of-his-rolls-to-almost/

This fella didnt seem to have much impact on Merc sales?
712856156356698772.jpg

Top Bottom