Raleigh Chopper with Twist Grip Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Somebody linked me to this Chopper which came up on Fecesbook, but I don't remember ever seeing them with twist grip gear change, the ones we had were a lever on the crossbar.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Somebody linked me to this Chopper which came up on Fecesbook, but I don't remember ever seeing them with twist grip gear change, the ones we had were a lever on the crossbar.

View attachment 523040
That's the new 'relaunched' un, 2 piece seat is a dead giveaway.

As above. Re-launched in 2004 to try and capitalise on the retro market, but what the original lacked in safety the re-launch version lacked in other ways, in particular the abomination of a seat arrangement and the twist grip gears.

Full Raleigh Chopper history is found HERE.

I never had one myself, nearest I got was a Budgie, but a friend had a 10 speed purple Chopper, (leave it @Fnaar ), back in the day, and it was a much coveted thing amongst us at the time, (under 10's). It would be worth a bob or two nowadays I'd bet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

but a friend had a 10 speed
Again something I didn't know, I thought they all had 3 speed Sturmy's although if on mine which was a MK1 you pulled the gearlever further back with the aid of some rope you could get another lower gear, no idea how though, as it's illogical.

Again something I didn't know, I thought they all had 3 speed Sturmy's although if on mine which was a MK1 you pulled the gearlever further back with the aid of some rope you could get another lower gear, no idea how though, as it's illogical.
I recall it having a smaller shifter to the left of the main gear changer, which other than shifting the chain presumably increased the amount of pain that was inflicted in the gentleman's jewels when the effluent hit the fan :eek:

Drago

Legendary Member
That's was the rehash from the 90s(?), an utter travesty.

I recall it having a smaller shifter to the left of the main gear changer, which other than shifting the chain presumably increased the amount of pain that was inflicted in the gentleman's jewels when the effluent hit the fan :eek:
Had a Mk1 in a sort of mustardy colour. Riding it as a paperboy with a full sack........well, best not to mention the other sack :cry:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Had a Mk1 in a sort of mustardy colour. Riding it as a paperboy with a full sack........well, best not to mention the other sack :cry:
Handlebars were great for fastening the paper bag to so you didn't have to carry it over your shoulder, are there such things are paperboys or papergirls these days?

southcoast

Über Member
Lol. I also owned a Mk1 in mustard colour and had unexpected encounter with the gear shift leaver. When cycling away from the village shop! :cry:

Top Bottom