Raleigh Professional

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just seen this....very nice ! Mr B is the cycling equivalent of "a babe magnet" if you will excuse the retro sexist , non pc etc etc. remark! :whistle:

iandg

Legendary Member
Very nice :smile:

I raced on a mark IV from 1978-1981. I still have it and have been riding it fixed this year in my TT comeback

3757562578_dae2c254bb_z.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Makes you realise how compact modern bars have become.

iandg

Legendary Member
This is an interesting article on the Raleigh Professional

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2016/12/raleighs-bike-boom-flagship-raleigh.html

Difficult to date mine. It was 'loaned' to me when I joined VC Europa in 1978 and never collected when I left them in 1981 - why I still have it. VC Europa were a Nottingham club with some connection (I was never sure what) to the Raleigh factory and some of the committee worked in the test lab so there was kit going back and forth regularly between riders and club. I think you got 'any old frame that was available' in your size - hence my Professional in 24.5" and team colours.

Hard to date the frame as I can't read the frame number and

It was a fitting beginning to a four-year production run that ground out more Mark IVs than probably any top-end racing machine of its era. Specifications changed "without notice" during this busy time with many variations and contradictions in terms of lugs, chain stays, bottom brackets, mudguard eyelets, rear spacing for 5- or 6-speed freewheels etc.

It has the CC cut out on the bottom bracket (post '73), the Latin Line head lugs, fastback seat stays and fluted chainstay. It has the 47/48mm off set forks with chrome fork crown (under the current paint).

Re-badged since it's first renovation :rolleyes:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvfh96o

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You need to get this one running and have a ride :smile:. It was made when I was 19 years old and I bet it will run as nicely as your Shorter / Aende :smile:

Don't worry it's next once i have ironed out the Viscount

Going to swap the single chainwheel for a Correct era Campagnolo one and loose the sprint & tubs to start with , if it goes as well as the Shorter ^_^ days if it's anything like the F.W. Wilson even better , not getting on with the Aende :sad: for some reason

Top Bottom