Raleigh Professional

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This is where It is at the moment .

IMG_20190911_074140027.jpg

IMG_20190911_074202227_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190911_074150629.jpg
IMG_20190911_074146346.jpg

Not sure about the Modolo lever's and i will have to see how i get on with the gearing with a 46 & 52 chainwheel ^_^

Last edited:
Ah! I hadn't spotted the differences.
They do look a bit manky!
The rust on the stays should clean up. You could just try a bit of lemon or lime juice to loosen it .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This is an interesting article on the Raleigh Professional

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2016/12/raleighs-bike-boom-flagship-raleigh.html

Difficult to date mine. It was 'loaned' to me when I joined VC Europa in 1978 and never collected when I left them in 1981 - why I still have it. VC Europa were a Nottingham club with some connection (I was never sure what) to the Raleigh factory and some of the committee worked in the test lab so there was kit going back and forth regularly between riders and club. I think you got 'any old frame that was available' in your size - hence my Professional in 24.5" and team colours.

Hard to date the frame as

It has the CC cut out on the bottom bracket (post '73), the Latin Line head lugs, fastback seat stays and fluted chainstay. It has the 47/48mm off set forks with chrome fork crown (under the current paint).

Re-badged since it's first renovation :rolleyes:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvfh96o

That's a good blog and thank you for pointing me in that direction

midlife

Guru
Starting to look good, didn't spot the extra chrome :smile: the Jubilee rear mech is OK for close ratio blocks but can have a bit of a wobbly with larger sprockets.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hah, that's what I got asked with a 13x21 8 speed when I was on a Sportif. Eee the kids and their dinner plates.

Yes, I remember my bike from the late eighties, 52/42 on the front, with 13-21 6 speed on the back, use that set set up these days I'd be regularly walking hills.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Far too big for you Martin. I think you should give it to me as an early Christmas present ;)

Lol , i have not even measured it other than standing over it too check for important clearance ^_^

Yes, I remember my bike from the late eighties, 52/42 on the front, with 13-21 6 speed on the back, use that set set up these days I'd be regularly walking hills.

Easy answer avoid hills

Top Bottom