Raleigh Pulsar seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenorman

Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head what size seatpost a 1980s Raleigh Pulsar (Raleigh 18 - 23 aerospace contour tubing) takes? I picked up one on eBay and have been getting it to roadworthy condition, but I need a longer post to set the height high enough to ride it comfortably. I don't have vernier calipers, and the existing seatpost has no size markings on anywhere. A rough tape measure across the diameter of the old post puts it in the 25mm area rather than the 27mm, if that's any starting help.

Cheers

according to this advert on the London fixed page, its a 25.4mm

RALEIGH PULSAR ROAD FRAME Aero tubing
Seat Tube (ctt): 63.5cm (25in)
Top Tube (ctc): 57cm (22.5in)
Rear dropout width: 120mm
Wheel size: Sprints/700C (brake drop 48mm)
Seatpost size: 25.4mm
This is a Raleigh road frame built from aero section tubing in the 1980s - its in very good condition with paintwork which only has a few marks. It will make a very cool budget conversion. £59

OP
OP
T

Tenorman

according to this advert on the London fixed page, its a 25.4mm

Thanks for that. I can't find seatposts around that size that are anything other than 25.4mm, but was worried that I might be assuming too much. Do 25.2mm or 25.6mm seatposts exists? Or did they used to exist?

Cheers

Thanks for that. I can't find seatposts around that size that are anything other than 25.4mm, but was worried that I might be assuming too much. Do 25.2mm or 25.6mm seatposts exists? Or did they used to exist?

Cheers
I've never seen 25.2 or 25.6 on the market but thats not saying much giving my limited experience. In the unlikely event it was 25.6 you could still use a 25.4mm post and shim it with a coke can. Good Luck :smile:

Cheule

Crikey, I remember in the late 80's when I was just finishing school, my mate had a Pulsar and I only had a cheapo 28" Target Flyte. Needless to say, I was envious. Good luck with the restoration!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

Cheers

Examples of current 25.2mm and 25.6mm posts. You really should use a Vernier caliper (by begging, borrowing or buying one for £1 from some Poundlands - honest!) to measure the existing one.

OP
OP
T

Tenorman

Crikey, I remember in the late 80's when I was just finishing school, my mate had a Pulsar and I only had a cheapo 28" Target Flyte. Needless to say, I was envious. Good luck with the restoration!

Thanks - it's quite a cool bike and reminds me of similar when I was finishing school in the late 80s, although I don't remember the Pulsar specifically. I'm afraid I'm probably not doing the Raleigh purists version of a restoration - just learning plenty about maintenance and replacing bits, such as putting a shorter axle in a Shimano rear road wheel because the old frame/dropouts were so much narrower. Replaced wheels, brakes, rear cassette, chain, rear mech and all cables and tape so far. Surprisingly the chainset and front mech were in pristine condition - maybe they'd been replaced in the past. Oh, Shimano SPD pedals went on too! Far more spent on it than the £45 I paid for it on eBay.

Cheers

Cheule

I think that bike has the first honour of being the bike I really liked the look of, black with silver lettering. At the time I couldn't decide if I liked the Pulsar or the Pursuit better, but the Pulsar won out in the end :blush:

I know what you mean about spending more on the bike with new bits vs the bike's worth, been doing that myself this week :ohmy:

Top Bottom